1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Kajieme Powell shooting, on camera

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This time, we can make our own judgment:

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/cell-phone-video-emerges-refutes-st-louis-cops-version-shooting/#yI65t6k3dtjUufqt.01

2. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

Can't wait to hear people argue this was justified. Two cops with guns drawn, one petty larceny suspect armed with a knife small enough that you can't see it in the video, and they shoot him nine times while he's about 10 feet away, with five of those shots coming after he's already gone to the ground.

Then the one douchebag keeps his gun drawn - you know, just in case this dying dude is the Highlander or something.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Because cuffing him after the 10 shots was necessary.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Who? Never heard of him.

Is the media aware of this case? Has the Attorney General met with his parents?

5. Songbird

Sharpton's on the case!

6. YankeeFan

I watched it. It brings me no greater understanding of the situation than that of someone who won't watch it.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

"Do they know who I am?"

Well, now we do. Was it worth it?

8. YankeeFan

What's the policy on linking to videos of an execution?

Is it only banned when the executed is a journalist?

cjericho likes this.
  9. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

That surprises me, because my understanding changed a great deal. I read, "Cops shoot knife-wielding man," and I thought one thing. Then I watched the video, and I saw pedestrians who were evidently so concerned about the threat that they milled around the knife-wielding man, laughing and taking pictures with their cell phones. And then I saw cops roll up, spend about half as much time at the scene at the pedestrians who were there before they arrived, and decide that they were in grave enough danger that they needed to open fire. I mean, you can still argue that it was justified, but I find it hard to believe the video did not change your understanding of the situation at all.

10. Songbird

Whatever happened to Tasing?

11. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

I have wondered the same thing about use of force. It seems in the past two years, I have seen more officer shootings again. No hard evidence to back up, but it seems like tazing has been replaced by shoot at will. Not sure why or how or if I am just not paying attention.

12. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

I love the pissed-off expression on the shopkeeper's face seconds after the shooting.

M----------r, who's going to pay for those sodas now?

Draft saved Draft deleted