1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Jones on Ebert

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Feb 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apseloser

apseloser Member

ATTN: Anyone who refers to this guy as "The Jones" or has praised him multiple times on a message board ...

Put some pants on, get out of your mom's basement and go watch Johnny Weir skate some more.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Really!?! Are you being serious or just being an attention-seeking troll? I'm guessing the latter, but just in case it's the former ...

1. It's a nickname from when Jones posted here.

2. You don't think his writing is worthy of praise? Why not?

3. Ebert is no slacker with the printed word either... I would be a little intimidated by this task.

4. Excellent piece, it's always impressive to me when someone can take on emotional subject matter like this without it sounding hacky or cliched. It's far too common for writers to take a sensationalistic tack on stories like this and just spew out a load of purple prose. Also, Ebert has been one of my heroes for years, but like a few other people I didn't realize the full extent of his condition. The man's a titan.

5. apseloser

apseloser Member

Inky, sure, I think he's good; I just think the infatuation is a little over the top.

I also think his subject here is very good. I know of a whole lotta writers that could have knocked this one out of the park, including SportsJournalists.com poster Dave Kindred, who's in a class Jones is several rungs from reaching.

I don't think he's in the top 20 writers, let alone the top 3. I'd like to see if he can write something under 2,000 words, given that, you know, for all the blather about narrative here, guess what readers aren't reading these days? Long stories.

I Googled him and read something for ESPN about a kid sailing around the world. If that was written by a top 3 writer, I'm Gene Siskel.

-- The Loser

6. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

He's a magazine writer. He writes long-form narrative. Just so you know, he also writes some front-of-the-book stuff for Esquire. It is also quite good. There is even one in the Ebert issue of Esquire.

7. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

Dave Kindred and Chris Jones are different writers.

But if America's publications held a writer draft similar to the NBA draft, I can assure you Mr. Jones would be taken well, well ahead of Mr. Kindred.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

But he Googled Jones, so, you know.

9. apseloser

apseloser Member

Keep telling yourself otherwise, Aerosol the hack. Apparently, you haven't read a readership study in the last 5 years.

And as for a draft, Jersey Guy, guess it depends who's picking, aye?

Hope you guys don't let your male partners see your postings. Rather weird to take time to make time to gush over a man's writing like this.

10. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

And the gay innuendo as a pejorative gets thrown around a little more heavily. You stay classy, apseloser.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Have to love somebody acting like a bigshot who throws out 5th-grade insults.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

OK, let's get back on topic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.