1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Jobs Bill bounce

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 15, 2011.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That's what makes it fun! The error bars are huge, every conceivable result is still at least vaguely possible.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's a good point ... also I would argue that what Nate Silver proved most of all is that Nate Silver is one brilliant mofo. I don't know how many people really could do that with the info even if they had it and had Silver's blueprint for analyzing it.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The Job Creators are mad as hell, and they're not going to take this anymore!!!

“Job creators in America are essentially on strike,” Mr. Boehner said, according to excerpts released by the speaker’s office. “The problem is not confusion about the policies. The problem is the policies.”

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/15/boehner-to-argue-g-o-p-case-in-jobs-speech/?ref=politics

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I agree. Let's nationalize health care and take the burden of dealing with it out of employers' hands.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Not even pretending with the trickle-down shit any more.

They're going to keep all the money, and fuck anybody who doesn't like it.

But they deserve more tax cuts.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Not on Sept. 15, 2011 he can't.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

What does this mean?

If someone earns money, why shouldn't they get to keep it if they choose? And, why does it bother you so if they do?

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Upward redistribution of wealth.

Eventually there may be second amendment solutions.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

They do get to keep it. But they owe it to the government that is enabling them to earn that money to pay their fair share.

Now, what constitutes that fair share has been up for debate since the first taxes were levied thousands of years ago. People have been killed, and governments have been toppled over taxes.

So, what is fair? I would think that most of us would want a country in which people can prosper due to their hard work and initiative and a country that also takes care of its weaker citizens who, through no fault of their own, need assistance.

Problem is, we're not getting that as much anymore. I know, YF, you've found your niche and you've prospered. Good for you. But if it was that simple, everyone would be able to do it.

Right now, there's plenty of people working their asses off, only to be threatened with a pink slip if they complain about working extra hours, and then receiving that pink slip because some suit decided he wanted a bigger bonus. TIme was, hard work was rewarded. Now, working hard means you're treading water.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I can't wait to ask Ron Paul about bridges, highways, police and firemen, et al.

Or maybe he'd like to try to piss it all way when/if his residence is on fire.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Know you're trying to be sarcastic, but your inference is wholly off base.

Pay attention. You might learn something.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Your definition of "earn" likely leaves something to be desired.

Draft saved Draft deleted