1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Jay Glazer dilemma

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 11, 2013.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

OK. I'll agree with your description.

I think the "real media" would be interested in looking into an attempt, by the NFL, to manipulate public perception.

But it wasn't.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Gannett doesn't care about your opinion because you're not diverse enough for them.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

The difference is Jay believes he would get the story anyway, even without his martial arts baloney.
    He didn't cross-train Favre and he was all over that story.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I've always felt like Glazer's business relationships with players isn't the biggest reason he gets info from them. It's the fact that his MMA tough-guy side gig makes them believe that he's one of them. That he gets it, compared to the typical sports journalist.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

What percentage of the public do you think needs this explained to them?

Anyone who cares about the NFL knows that nfl.com is a house organ.

6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Incognito came off better in that interview than I expected.
    If dealing with Glazer gave him that kind of comfort, then Fox's money has been well-spent.
    And let's remember what network this is - one that lets Brian Billick do his brother-in-law's games.
    Never mind its many crimes against the profession over the years.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You may be overestimating the public on this one, but I don't think the average sports fan really cares what the NFL was trying to do there. I doubt they gave that story much thought at all because it wasn't particularly compelling.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Eh. I think we expect "good news" from the various league websites.

But, with all the concussion news, I think it would be interesting to know at what levels the decision was made to run this story.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Been a bit busy. Didn't see the interview, haven't read the first part of this. But let me ask one question - did the golf club thing come up? Because if it didn't, the interview is a joke. I saw a brief clip of it on some highlight show late last night. Ol' Richie looking sweet and innocent, says yeah he understands given some of the knucklehead stuff he did earlier. But he's a good guy now? OK, what about the golf club? Has nothing to do with Martin but screams STILL A KNUCKLEHEAD ALWAYS A KNUCKLEHEAD

Pardon if this is a db within a thread. Carry on

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

NO MENTION OF GOLF CLUB

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I bet their are plenty who view NFL.com as a more credible source than
    The NY Times.

I would bet that it's a low % of NFL fans that has any concerns with conflict of
    interest.

I think most who turn on an NFL Pregame show want to be entertained and
    understand that they are not watching 60 Minutes

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yes, it did. Glazer mentioned it in passing during a question running down all of his previous trangressions and why the public shouldn't think he's a complete knucklehead.

Draft saved Draft deleted