1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Jay Glazer dilemma

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

And she doesn't have a business relationship with the people she champions. She did write a book with Billie Jean King, I see. So that's a mark against her, but not to the extent of Glazer.

I'd compare Brennan more to The Nation, entities that have loyalties to causes rather than dollars. It's not surprising that Zirin would cite her as an example of journalistic purity.

It's still pretty shocking that Verducci skirts by unscathed. Again, at least FOX discloses Glazer's business interests. Verducci wrote a book with Joe Torre that was a best-seller, and he draws a paycheck from Major League Baseball on the side. Sports Illustrated, to my knowledge, has never once acknowledged this in print, even when he wrote a takedown of the NFL's drug-testing policy as compared to MLB's last year.

2. Dick Whitman

Oh, there's a place for commentary. So I don't agree with that criticism. What Brennan does is different than what S.L. Price or Wright Thompson do. There's a place for both.

Now, if she's poor at that - a "bore" - that's a separate criticism. But she can have a worthy job and do poorly at it.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I look forward to Zirin taking on MSNBC for hiring David Axelrod with his obvious conflict of
    interest.

4. Dick Whitman

But Axelrod isn't conducting interviews. He's a pundit. He's no different than Bradshaw or Jimmy Johnson or Howie Long. He's an ex-player.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Did anyone ever get to the bottom of how this "article" (with no byline) ended up on NFL.com:

Concussion issue continues to grow in Major League Baseball

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000243632/article/concussion-issue-continues-to-grow-in-major-league-baseball

I think that would be a fun article to write, if you could find out what happened.

6. YankeeFan

Yeah, there are worse examples of this. If he was the host of "This Week" or "Meet the Press" it would be a different story.

7. Dick Whitman

It has a byline - "Bill Bradley, contributing editor."

And I don't have a problem with it.

I would have a problem if Bill Bradley started writing pieces for Sports Illustrated with his relationship to NFL.com undisclosed.

8. Dick Whitman

I'm not shocked that this site doesn't have a huge problem with Glazer or Verducci.

A few years ago, a majority of the site's power-brokers put up an impassioned defense for an MLB.com employee who was judging the APSE awards. Conflict of interest, they said, was irrelevant when the fox in the henhouse happened to be a "good guy."

9. YankeeFan

Shit. Didn't look for it at the bottom.

And, you're right in the larger sense. I still think it's an odd story to appear on NFL.com, and it certainly looks like it was placed there for interests that weren't purely journalistic.

Would love to know how it came about.

10. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

There are stories on NFL.com that aren't purely journalistic??? I'm shocked!

11. YankeeFan

Oh, I know. But this one really deserved to be mocked.

12. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

It was mocked quite a bit when it came out, IIRC.

Draft saved Draft deleted