1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The javelin is not soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Sep 26, 2006.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I was shooting some file art at the state track championships last spring and after taking a shot, I kind of looked down at my camera. The javelin throw landed five feet directly behind me. And if I'd been impaled, I would have nobody to blame but myself.

Even worse, I used to throw it myself, so I definitely know better.

2. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Doesn't the javelin stick into the ground by design? Why in the name of Johosefat do people need to stand in a field while fit athletes fling oversized lawn darts at them? The goddam thing makes a hole in the ground! Wait until it lands, then run out and measure it. It's not that goddam hard.

I have no sympathy for stupid people. Don't stand in the way of a five-foot dart.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

DD, "civilians" definitely shouldn't be in the landing area. But at invitationals, you have 2-3 people in the landing area to mark and to return the javelins to sender. They step the wrong way, misjudge one, it's quite easy to happen.

4. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Understood, but do javelins go scurrying off after they land, like a discus? I would think it'd be easy to stand out of the way and still know exactly where a javelin landed.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And Rosie's lookalike has what seems to be a badge around her neck, so she's not a civilian

6. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Yes. Sometimes they do land in a more flat trajectory and skip along the ground. And sometimes the thrower chucks it out of bounds. I've seen javelines hit the track itself.

7. Jim Tom Pinch

Jim Tom Pinch Active Member

All right put your hands out so you can really look like Jesus

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Damn, that's nasty.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

From what I can see in the photo, that javelin had a sharper tip than most. They're usually rather rounded.

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Jesus. Seriously. Some kind of warning on this thread would have been nice.

11. joe

joe Active Member

Yeah, I think for empathy you would have to know what she's feeling. But, hell, no sympathy either.

12. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I will say this. Track and field competitions can be dangerous fucking places. Step on way and get steam-rolled by a sprinter. Step another way and get a javelin through your foot. Watch out because the hammer throw to the head could toll for thee. And no, I've never been injured at a track meet but I can pretty easily see how it happens. Be careful out there, people.

Draft saved Draft deleted