1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Industry

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Natchez, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

it's simple: find a different living, period.

2. butch

butch Member

it's one thing to sacrifice for a little while and hope to move up into money, which is what i'm sure most young journalists do.
    but if you're one of the smartest guys in h.s., college and you choose this profession, you're an idiot. sure you can hope to get the big break, but for the most part you'll bust your ass, work overtime for nothing, sacrifice personal life on nights and weekends and find yourself having 'worked your way up' to $30K a year, if you're lucky. then you'll realize what a huge mistake you made (although you thoroughly enjoyed it), realize you can't support a wife/family with that kind of job and get out of the industry altogether.
    chances are, you'll look back and say, 'I was a sports writer once. Some of the best years of my life.' but 5-10 years from now you'll be damn glad you got out of it.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you shoulda taken part in national chick-kissing-chick avatar night butch, you woulda had less of a sour outlook on life.

4. butch

butch Member

well i started to check it out but only the first 2 or 3 posts had chick-on-chick avatars. then there was a bunch of normal avatars, so i clicked off. plus there are plenty of places i can go to get that.
    i think i'm right on both accounts

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

patience butch, patience.

6. butch

butch Member

you're probably right

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

it worked out OK dog. it really did for a national holiday.

8. butch

butch Member

OK, just forced some patience on that thread and you're right, it worked out OK

9. KnuteRockne

KnuteRockne Member

Some of us have to write to live, though. It's that simple. Journalism gets in your blood and it's tough to turn away from it without feeling like you really left something very, very important behind. At least theoretically. Obviously not every day is Watergate.

Draft saved Draft deleted