1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The ice bucket challenge

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Aug 13, 2014.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

That is so wrong, but I'm getting looks at the office for laughing so hard at it. Guess I'm going to hell.

2. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

I have no problem raising money for ALS research - and in fact have contributed some to that end. My problem here is twofold:

1. It is a look-at-me activity. Just make your donation. ALS research is not advanced in any way by the fact that a bunch of people have been drenched in water.

2. This - like other campaigns to raise money for important things - talks about "awareness". The NFL will wear pink shoes and wristbands to foster "awareness" of breast cancer for a month. Fact is that just about everyone who is in a position to donate money to help causes like ALS research or breast cancer research ALREADY is aware of the problem. Just about anyone who has not been living in a cave for the past 40 years is aware of the problem. In most cases, what is really needed is to get past "awareness" and move forward in the direction of "cure" or "prevention" or "alleviation of suffering". All of those things will benefit from donations not from pink wristbands or soaking oneself in water.

If Roger Goodell - just to pick one person who "took the challenge" - had simply sat down and wrote a check to help fund ALS Research it would have had the same benefit as the donation he made after he soaked himself.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Holy shit.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

So the "Ice Bucket Challenge" fundraising campaign really had nothing to do with the fact that the ALS Association raised $2.3 million in two weeks compared to $25,000 in the comparable period last year? It was just a coincidence that people felt like donating to the ALS Association this year?

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

People should never be allowed to do anything that doesn't look fun to me.

6. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I get the "look at me" aspect to this, but if it raises money and awareness for a good cause, who cares?

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Assholes do apparently.

8. Find your best Canadian tuxedo and dump some ice water on yourself to calm down, champ.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

No idea what JC calls it in his part of Canuckistan but here in Ontario we call this a "Kenora dinner jacket":

[​IMG]

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I have no desire to see one more bucket dumped but it's the perfect storm for a windfall of cash: social media and silliness. Thrilled that ALS is the beneficiary.

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

The Jets Cheerleaders accepted Rex Ryan's challenge and did the ice bucket for ALS thing...
    http://www.newyorkjets.com/videos/videos/Jets-Flight-Crew-Accepts-Rex%E2%80%99s-IceBucketChallenge/3d7a1390-1376-430f-bfaa-6c1c39a592af

Draft saved Draft deleted