1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The hypocrites who run the NFL

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bodie_Broadus, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Where's that pic of the Alabama guy from the draft when you need it?

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Why would they?

The NFL is a bit of a different animal, but at most companies there is a corporate communications and/or community relations department that supports local causes. And, they do so, in part, to burnish their corporate image.

The marketing department has the ability to spend money with charities, and/or non-profit groups, like arts organizations, but if those groups are going to get money, it has to be as good a spending decision as any other marketing program.

Some companies have a foundation. It will be run independently, and will usually have a stated mission, like education.

Marketing decisions aren't, and can't be, decided on emotion.

3. Bodie_Broadus

So why have charities at all?

They don't survive on the $10, $20, $50 donations that the average person gives them.

When a corporation is as flush as the NFL is with money, it's their obligation to help out others.

4. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

Why is it their "obligation?" Legally, it's their money and they can do what they damn well please with it. If they want to help others out, great. They certainly can afford to shed a few dollars. And if they're going to shed dollars, it'd be great if they weren't making money specifically off of the breast cancer merchandise (Does MLB profit from the pink bats it auctions), but it is certainly not their obligation to do shit.

5. Bodie_Broadus

Responsible corporations should help out others.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

As infantile as this is, let's go with it for a second.

How should they decide who to "help"? To what degree should they help?

If they help one group, but not another, is that ok?

7. Bodie_Broadus

Without the name calling I'll answer this.

Your constant unprovoked name calling has to stop. There was no need for that little dig calling me infantile. You could have asked your questions without it. But that's not your way, you can't react to one of my posts like a decent human being, you have to resort to name calling.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Where did I call you a name? Nowhere. You whine about me accusing you of saying something you didn't say, then you do exactly that same thing to me. I have criticized your actions, but that is not the same thing as calling you names. Perhaps you failed to understand what hypocrisy is when you accused the NFL of it in its dealing with with Marshall. Perhaps you need an example. What you just did in your post here? That is hypocrisy.

And hatred? Again, that gets back to your persecution complex. Nobody here hates you. We occasionally tire of having to constantly correct you, but that's not the same thing as hatred.

9. Bodie_Broadus

Only when you send me four PM's after I told you to stop.

I told you in the first one not to call me "bro" or "homes"or "idiot", and I said don't message me anymore, you kept harassing me.

Remember the rule about unwanted PM's.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I suspect Brandon Marshall has mental health issues that he wants the public to be aware of.

11. Bodie_Broadus

He has been diagnosed with a personality disorder.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

What a surprise. I wonder what sort of disorders Terrell Owens and Chad Johnson may have been hiding?

Draft saved Draft deleted