1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The hypocrites who run the NFL

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bodie_Broadus, Oct 19, 2013.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I hate to fuck up your martyr complex, but I have to agree with you on this. All of it.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't think this is a Komen thing. The NFL is partnering with the American Cancer Society.

3. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

All the pinkwashing is Komen.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/16/business/in-the-breast-cancer-fight-the-pinking-of-america.html?_r=2&pagewanted=all&

4. outofplace

The Komen Foundation popularized the use of pink for the cause, but LTL is right. The NFL partnership is with the American Cancer Society.

http://www.nfl.com/pink

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

the reason the NFL fined him was because that's the only way the NFL can make money on the cleats. NFL makes money on the pink probably more than any single cancer charity

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

NFL hypocrisy would actually be that only around 10% of proceeds from sales of their pink merchandise makes it to the charities, not that Brandon Marshall can't wear green shoes for mental health.

7. Bodie_Broadus

Marshawn Lynch was wearing green shoes against Arizona this week, I hope he doesn't get fined.

But this being the NFL, he probably will.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Brandon Marshall is a hypocrite for supporting a mental-health charity instead of a concussion-study charity.

9. jpetrie18

jpetrie18 Member

Wouldn't be the first time.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/05/marshawn-lynch-fined-5250-for-green-shoes/

10. Bodie_Broadus

Looking at the letter that Marshall posted, it says something about "dominant footwear color" couldn't someone argue that because the Seahawks have that lime green as such a prominent color Lynch should be allowed to wear them?

11. outofplace

Still waiting for you to acknowledge your factual error regarding who the NFL's partnership is with.

12. Bodie_Broadus

If I'd actually said they were partnered with Komen, I might.

But since the word partner wasn't in any of my previous posts, I won't.

Draft saved Draft deleted