1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Hornets are back

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KYSportsWriter, Dec 21, 2013.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Crap.

Typed jeez and auto-correct screwed up.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Maybe they can bring back the players post practice auto racing that
    was so popular with Hornet fans.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

On a side note, I've often thought that when a team moves, unless they are replaced by another team, that they should come back to their former city for an exhibition game if possible, or, maybe for NFL teams, an open practice or two.

The Kings could play an exhibition in Rochester and/or Cincinnati, and the Bears could host a practice in Decatur, for instance.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

He's hardly the first to pull a stunt like that. I don't know much about Shinn, but I do know there are a lot of disliked owners yet the teams manage to survive and even thrive in some instances.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Doesn't every city that loses a franchise at least talk about suing. I've yet to see anyone win anything.

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

The Ravens could play in Cleveland, the Thunder in Seattle. I wonder how that would go.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Are Ravens-Browns weekends still complete shitshows of hate in Cleveland?

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Because basketball and the NBA was - and is - well received in Charlotte. It was George Shinn who wore out his welcome … and because David Stern couldn't force him to sell, he let Shinn move the team to New Orleans, let the dust settle for a while and then announced a new expansion team in Charlotte.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

There's no defending Shinn. He was an asshole of the highest degree. But whoever made the calls on Charlotte Coliseum most definitely screwed up. There were, I think, all of eight luxury boxes in the building. Just no revenue streams at all. It was obsolete the day it opened.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

It also had 23,000 seats and they banged the place out regularly.

At the time the Coliseum opened, too, I don't think Charlotte was quite the corporate mecca it is today. It might've been pretty hard to sell a lot more suites.

11. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

The Coliseum wasn't built to lure an NBA team, it was built to bring the ACC Tournament back to Charlotte from Greensboro. All that mattered, when construction began, was that it had 8,000 more seats than the Greensboro Coliseum. Shinn, who had been working toward landing a USFL franchise at the time, then set his sights on an NBA team.

12. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I would think New Orleans keeps it. It's two different franchises.

Draft saved Draft deleted