1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The "high" society is striking again.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by printdust, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Crash

Crash Active Member

Obviously this is over your head, but not all the people who are prescribed painkillers, amphetamines and the like actually take them. And not all doctors who prescribe them are doing so legitimately. Did you miss that part of my post?

What's bullshit is you complaining about a minor inconvenience in your life. Maybe we should just put Sudafed back out on the floor so the junkies can steal it, make some meth, blow up a trailer and kill some innocent people. Sure, the innocents will be dead, but at least you won't have to ask for your Sudafed.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This was something many states began doing because drugs that can be abused were getting out of control. There were no controls stopping someone from going to 10 different doctors and getting 10 prescriptions for a benzodiazapine or a pain med. There was an resale market on popular drugs, such as Oxycotin, that could be obtained through doctors turning around scripts to make a profit of their own (not all docs are saints!).

So several states came up with a special prescription needed for certain meds. No refills allowed. In some states, at least, they can't even call in the prescription. It needs to come in on the pad. The prescription itself is subject to greater monitoring than the garden variety scrip off a regular pad.

It may be an inconvenience for your friend, but it's not the end of the world. All it takes is for his doctor to pop a piece of paper in the mail before he needs a refill. Not ideal. But If it prevents abuse of some powerful drugs, is it really all that big a deal?

3. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

All this is doing is providing price supports for your local meth dealer. It's basic economics. Restrict the raw supply of a product and watch prices/profits go up.

4. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

You mean like this?

Meth thrives despite tracking
    http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2011/jan/11/meth-thrives-despite-tracking/

5. Yes because putting Sudafed behind the counter has certainly cleaned up the country's meth/drug problem.

It's minor inconvenience for one. Multiply that by a million, plus the pharmacists who have to wait on irritated allergy sufferer instead of filling prescriptions and its a major roadblock.
    And it's stupid.
    And it's not the answer to the country's drug problem. But America is not ready for the answer.

6. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

who uses a pharmacist anymore anyway? My insurance makes me mail-order all my and my family's prescriptions. I rarely have to go to the pharmacist except for an emergency refill, which happens sometimes when I am out of town on assignment. I know I'm not alone in having order all my scripts through the mail.

7. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

I don't know if all doctors have it, but my best friend is a doctor. I go to him 75 percent of the time, but as he's located about 30 minutes away from me, sometimes a Doc in the box is better in a pinch.

I went to him after the Doc in the Box didn't fix me. I tried to tell him what I was prescribed, but couldn't remember. As I was talked he was hitting a couple buttons on his ipad and before I was through talking he had my complete history of what I'd been prescribed by him and others in the past 12 months.

I don't know if this is something that's available to all doctors or if it costs more to have this service, but it should be law. That would put a stop to a lot of fraud by people trying to skirt the system.

8. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

It's wack-a-mole. Tweakers will find new ways to cook meth. Now the trend is rolling meth labs. Think about all of those noxious chemicals in junker vehicles driven by soulless meth cookers the next time you're on your way to work.

We've got to address the root problems of why people are addicted to everything from shit to shinola. I remember people in school getting high off Freon. Freon!?

9. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

It varies a lot. My wife is a registered nurse and we've talked a fair amount about how they handle records; I'm still stunned there's not a nationally accessible database of medical records, so that we don't have to go through our histories every time we go to a different provider.

At the hospital where my wife previously worked all records were computerized; everyone had laptops, and that's how they entered and accessed all information. At the hospital where she works now some stuff is computerized but they still do paper charting. Information is eventually entered into an ancient computer system that's shared by all of the area hospitals (and some clinics), but this obviously takes time and isn't efficient. And this is one of the biggest hospitals in the region.

10. printdust

printdust New Member

And they have junkies out there who know how to hack those laptops. I guess we should ban laptops next.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Well, that sort of computerization is part of the health care reform act. I'm pretty sure there was some sort of hue and cry about it. Can't remember what, specifically, but I'm sure it was ill-informed and stupid.

Also, it's entirely possible for someone to be prescribed painkillers legally, then become hooked on them. That's pretty much how it happens, actually.

12. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

A lot of the veteran nurses at my wife's hospital are not pleased about the coming change to computerized records, mostly because they're not as comfortable with computers as the younger nurses are. And also because it gives them something to bitch about. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted