1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The HEALTHY RECIPE thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flash, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

Oh this was soooooooooooooooo good ... just finished dinner ...

GRILLED FISH WITH AVOCADO AND MANGO SALSA

(recipe calls for salmon but it was a little expensive, so I went with snapper)

2 6 oz. salmon steaks or fillets
    Sea salt and black pepper
    2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided
    1 clove garlic, finely chopped
    1 tbsp orange juice
    1 tbsp lime juice
    2 tsp orange zest
    1/2 avocado, diced
    1/2 peeled mango, diced
    1/2 tsp honey

1. Lightly season salmon with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tbsp oil and garlic in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add salmon and cook for approximately seven to eight minutes per side or until salmon flakes easily and is a consistent light pink throughout.
    2. Mix together juices, orange zest, avocado, mango, honey and remaining oil. Place salmon plates and top with salsa.

Calories per serving: 471; Total fats: 32 g; Saturated fat: 5 g; Trans fat: 0 g; Cholesterol: 85 mg; Sodium: 90 mg; Total carbohydrates: 16 g; Dietary fiber: 4 g; Sugar: 11 g; Protein: 30 g.

Serve with quinoa and roasted vegetables.

ROASTED VEGETABLES

1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
    2 parsnips and beets, peeled and diced
    5 brussel sprouts, quartered
    2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    2 tsp soy sauce
    Black pepper to taste

In a small bowl, whisk together oil, soy sauce and pepper. Pour over vegetables and stir to coat. Transfer to a foil-lined cookie sheet and bake. When the vegetables start to brown, about 30 minutes, remove from oven.

Calories per serving (vegetables and quinoa): 318; Total fats: 6 g; Saturated fat: 1 g; Trans fat: 0 g; Cholesterol: 0 mg; Sodium: 159 mg; Total carbohydrates: 56 g; Dietary fiber: 8 g; Sugar: 9 g; Protein: 10 g

2. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Well, since we're on the subject of delicious fish dishes we had recently, I submit <a href="http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=592307">Sauteed Tilapia with Lemon-Peppercorn Pan Sauce.</a> Holy jeebus, it was good.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Skinny Cow is amazing stuff. Costco is where I get my fix.

Also, this is a cheap BBQ sauce for chicken or thinly sliced ham, and you might think I am crazy when I tell it to you what it is.

Equal parts Heinz ketchup and Diet Coke. Even if you just want to try it out, 1 tablespoon of each, whisk them together and give it a try. One pound of ham with one cup of ketchup and one cup of Diet Coke on a low simmer will last all through the game.

This was a staple of the ham BBQ of my Western PA elementary school growing up.

4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

That's an interesting combination. I don't doubt it's tasty.

5. Flash

Flash Guest

This is delish ... just made it the other night.

CURRIED CHICKEN AND BROWN RICE SALAD

1.5 tsp sesame oil
    8 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast or tenders, cut into bite-sized pieces
    1.5 tsp curry powder
    2 c. cooked brown rice
    1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
    1/2 medium sweet onion, chopped
    2 green onions, chopped
    1/4 c. raisins
    1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and chopped
    1.5 tbsp olive oil
    1 tbsp lemon juice
    Salt and pepper to taste

1. Heat a pan over medium-high heat; add sesame oil. Add the chicken pieces and sprinkle with 1/2 tsp of curry powder. Saute until chicken is cooked, about five to eight minutes. Set aside.

2. In a large bowl, combine the brown rice with bell pepper, onion, green onion, raisins and apple.

3. In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, remaining curry powder and salt and pepper.

4. Add the cooked chicken to the rice, add the dressing and combine thoroughly. Refrigerate until serving.

Calories: 66; Total fats: 8 g, Saturated fat: 5 g, Trans fat: 0 g; Cholesterol: 19 mg; Sodium: 439 mg; Total carbohydrates: 36 g; Sugar: 1 g; Dietary fiber: 7 g; Protein: 13 g.

Draft saved Draft deleted