1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The harshest takedown of a pop music star that's also the safest possible critique ever

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

In which a Washington Post critic rightly rips into a popular rapper named Post Malone while simultaneously saying all the right, liberal-approved things possible.

And it even includes a word that almost no one would ever know, and dammit, I had to look up to make sure I knew the meaning. (I did!).

Naturally, this piece is being celebrated (and critiqued) all over Twitter.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...?utm_term=.2737c41f3d9b&wpisrc=nl_most&wpmm=1

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I read it on the wire a few days ago. That was the nastiest evisceration I’ve seen in a while. Not just of him, but culture in general.

3. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

He took down a cool kid while being a cool kid. @Alma, you must be so conflicted here.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Well, a specific kind of culture. Liberals don't account for a single note of it. You can read that piece and think: America is shit and none of it is my fault. Certainly not Jeff's fault.

There's a kind of eye-rolling cheapness in that kind of critique.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Oh, very.

Hermes likes this.
  6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I couldn't get through it. I want to read the review doing that to his review.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Post Malone is what you get if you take the bro country formula and apply it to hip-hop. Fuck that guy.

8. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I clicked on this thread, read the first line, and played "guess which poster wrote that?"

I won.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Same here, except I don't even care to read the review of the review.

12. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I have zero admiration for Post Malone and think a lot of modern music is shit (although a lot of it is transcendent, too), but that piece did nothing for me. Too long and satisfied with itself, and too sneery. I don't like criticism as a profession in general, or at least his kind of criticism. It's pointless except to make the author and some of his readers feel superior to people who don't read. That piece is a lot of acreage to change no minds.

Alma likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted