1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Harris Media Services advisory board

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

This much I know - If I want a PC with XP, it's coming from online. Four stores, ZERO PCs with XP except for some mini-looking thing the guy held up in his palm. "This is not really a computer," he said. NO SHIT.

InDesign worked fine on my old work computer. PhotoShop did, too, for all I know. I didn't do as much with that. Used InDesign to do our game programs and had zero issues.

2. sostartled

sostartled Member

Yeah, they aren't manufacturing PC's with XP anymore. You may have to have someone build one for you and install it.

3. Moderator1

Isn't it pretty much universally agreed that Vista blows? I remember the cool Mac guy/nerd PC commercials about that.

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I bought one of the first computers with Vista. And while I didn't like it at first, I've gotten use to it and don't have any issues with it now about two years later.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

As did I. Bought this laptop a little over two years ago. Runs better after I added RAM and set it up to dual-boot Kubuntu, though.

6. sostartled

sostartled Member

I've heard that there are a lot of bugs, but I have never used it. It might just be a matter of preference. Can anyone explain what the biggest differences are?

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

I loathe PCs and pine for the day I can return to Macs, but the only problem I had with Vista was trying to install older software on to the computer. Much to my chagrin, I could not install my Olympus digital voice recorder. Of course, a few months after I got the computer I lost my job, so it really wasn't that big a deal.

I've also got to say that I futzed around with Photoshop and InDesign on the PC and had zero problem.

Get a Mac, dude. If not for you then for me.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

If you do get Vista, make sure the it's 64-bit... you can ramp up the memory. Nothing wrong with Vista.. nothing more than a few extra steps on occasion -- if you want.
    I disagree with AQB on photoshop on a PC...
    And Dell will let you get a laptop with XP -- for more money.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Some interface differences, a lot of which requires scads of additional RAM. Start menu no longer says Start. Elevated security for things that require protected-mode access (which some malware writers have figured out how to work around).

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/93929171-8e24-1e6a-cf68-b48eb22073611033.mspx

10. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

FWIW, I have Adobe Creative Suite on my work laptop -- it's a Dell. Anytime I run Photoshop, InDesign or even Microsoft Visio, my Dell will run at speeds that make my old Commodore 64 look like a supercomputer.

If you're doing design work, you owe it to yourself to get an Apple.

11. Moderator1

I checked out Mac Pro prices - my first born is officially on the market.
    I mean, they sound great. But damnnnnnnnn. You fine folks have to throw a brother LOTS of work to help him get one of those.

Ideally, I'll one day have a fancy Mac for the design stuff and a portable Dell or other PC (with XP) for my correspondence, writing and book keeping stuff. Or not. Maybe I'll just go with the big kahuna.

12. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Moddy, it's not that big a deal to get XP installed on a new PC, you just have to pay someone to do it. From what folks with design experience are telling you, a Mac with Microsoft word is needed for the best design options. That is going to cost you. I was in an Apple store the other day. Damn! But I have to believe there are people out there running design stuff on PCs.

Draft saved Draft deleted