1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Hangover

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by maberger, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Well, I guess that's probably true. But a dude scores 26 in the first half, and 12 in the second. Still a pretty good fucking night.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I agree on Wedding Crashers. Started strong, but the ending was weak. I think most Apatow comedies fall into that category as well, with the exception being Superbad.

3. highlander

highlander Member

While going through this thread for the first time, I was just thinking why no one had mentioned the ER doctor. That guy was funny.

4. highlander

highlander Member

The cop called him "Fat Jesus." The Chinese guy just called him fat and laughed.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I told a friend we'd go see this in two weeks when I go home to visit...but I don't think I can hold out. Does that make me weak?

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Glad someone is on the same page.

7. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Not for nothing, but there are only three people or classes of people in my life who don't find Will Ferrell funny.

1) My wife, who prefers the comedy stylings of Matthew McConaughey. She finds him especially funny with his shirt off.

2) My parents, because they are fucking old (in their 50s!!!!!). It is worth noting they also think Jay Leno is hilarious.

and 3) People with sticks up their asses, who probably think "According to Jim" is high comedy.

In my experience, non-Ferrell fans always fall into one or more of these categories. Ladies. Old people in their 50s. People with sticks up their ass.

If and when Ferrell gets assassinated, it will almost certainly be by a 50-year-old lady with a stick wedged way up her ass.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

This may not be directed to me, but I'm going to respond to it anyway.

I am a Will Ferrel fan. Thought his SNL stuff, Anchorman and Wedding Crashers bits were great. I thought there were some parts in other movies like Talladega Nights were good as well.

But I just feel his stuff gets old. He is a comedic genius and should not settle for continuing to make movies with characters that aren;t unique. His characters are too closely related, his jokes are overused. I would like to see him kick ass with new characters, and different schticks.

Step Brothers really got to me, because I didn't think the humor was witty. I didn't think it was clever writing. In the hangover, I thought the the writing was amazing.

The lines about Holocaust Rings, tigers loving pepper, fat jesus... these are things I know were toiled over. They took timing, and precision.

The boats and hoes video, not so much.

The kind of witty humor I'm looking for is the stuff that I see on those SNL digital shorts by Andy Sandberg. For the most part its the same bit, but the writing is clever and it makes you laugh outloud. Boats and hoes does not do that. I'm sorry.

I respect everyone's opinions on this topic but I will fight to the death on this.

Boats and Hoes is not funny. Step Brothers sucked... Ferrel needs to reinvent himself. I have hope for Land of the Lost, but I can not take another Step Brothers.

Cal Naughton Jr. is a hillbilly and is not funny. Step Brothers was awkward and it made me want to kick animals and punch babies.

Hangover and Superbad = hilarity.

9. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I haven't seen Hangover. I hope it is as funny as everybody says. I'm really looking forward to it.

I like Superbad. I own it. But it isn't my favorite movie or anything.

I love, love, love Stepbrothers. I watch it everyday. Sometimes twice on Sunday. OK, not really, but I love it. So many great lines, like most of Ferrell's movies.

John C. Reilly is a funny motherfucker. You want to talk about recent movies that are funnier than anything Ferrell has done lately ... Walk Hard is funny. Like the best of the Ferrell movies, it is a smart comedy cloaked in a dumb comedy.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Just walked in the door. This was the funniest movie I've seen since at least Knocked Up, maybe longer. I laughed pretty solidly throughout, and actually snorted during the credits.

I didn't love Galifianakis as much as I thought I would, but thought it was tremendous. I liked Helms more than I have in anything ever. And maybe I'm an idiot, but for the first time in a movie like this they didn't really telegraph the final piece, which was nice.

11. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Will Farrell...Comedic Genius?? Really?

12. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Go see it again. You know you want to.

Draft saved Draft deleted