1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The GWB Iraq Road Show

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dog428, Aug 31, 2006.

1. dog428

dog428 Active Member

W, in some sort of last ditch effort to convince everyone that he really knows best, is taking to the streets. He's got a few speeches on the war in Iraq in different cities set up over the coming days. Had one today in Salt Lake.

http://articles.news.aol.com/news/_a/bush-takes-war-defense-on-the-road/20060831024509990007?_ccc=2&cid=842

Here's the general theme: "The security of the civilized world depends on victory in the war on terror, and that depends on victory in Iraq," Bush said.

Now, I gotta ask, how does the security of the world rest on us creating a peaceful Iraq? Are you telling me that a stable and secure Iraq will somehow make us safer here? Does this actually make sense to anyone?

This was a country, which before the war, had very few American-hating terrorists with the means or know-how to attack the US. No one in that country was preventing any terrorist group from continuing their We-Hate-The-Americans practices, yet there were few terrorists there. Now, suddenly, this is a key battle for us?

Maybe I missed it, but at any point over the last few years, has anyone attempted to explain how, exactly, winning this war will make us safer?

2. Oh, hell, says the ghost of Neville Chamberlain, here we go again.

3. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Seriously? You're giving me a "here we go again"?

Damn. First political thread I've posted in a while, I think. I just thought that if Fredo gets to keep spewing this nonsense, we should be able to continue to ask for clarification.

4. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

You'll have to excuse F_B, he's already had a long day on another thread arguing appeasement with Rumsfeld's lovechild. Brilliant as he is, F_B's only one man, and only got so much to give.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Robert Young, at his drunkest, knew better.

6. Sorry, dog. I was aiming that at the inevitable apologists and hit you by mistake.
    I can be vice-president now, I guess.

7. dog428

dog428 Active Member

No problem. I just checked out the other thread mentioned and I can see how you could be a bit out of sorts.

I knew what I'd get when I posted this. I just hoped that maybe one person out there would attempt to answer the question. I know that's asking a lot, since I don't believe there is an answer, but I was still hoping.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

You people questioning GWB sufffer from moral or intellectual confusion. [/Rumsfeld]

BTW, I loved Olbermann's commentary last night ...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12131617/#060830b

9. Not even worth a reply, this thread.

10. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Don't see where the problem is here, folks. Olbermann pretty much goes yard with the whole morally, ethically and intellectually bankrupt crew.

Don't see where the disagreement lies here either. This administration and its cronies have profited grossly from this contrived war. It has used the tactics of fear because it HAS no other tactics in which to base its morally defunct policies.

This is inarguable. What isn't is the fact that Dr. Strangelove, Crashcart Cheney and the rest of this unholy gathering questioning our patriotism for questioning their renegade shenanigans is obscenity of the grossest order.

Lyman, you're a pretty bright guy. How all of this escapes you, continues to escape all of us.

11. Well ... you CAN disagree with it and it is NOT inarguable. But if you're using absolutes like that, birdscribe, then there's no point of debating you on it.

And speaking for "all of us" is a bit presumptuous on your part, isn't it? After all, you seem like a bright guy, too.

12. Gold

Gold Active Member

Lyman, are you telling us that Haliburton hasn't benefitted financially from this war?

Are you telling us that this administration hasn't sought to use private contractors to an unprecedented degree in American history in the Iraq War?

Are you telling us that Exxon Mobil hasn't had record profits?

Are you telling us that Cheney is not a crony of Halliburton and that he didn't get a golden parachute?

Are you telling us that Dick Cheney can evaluate Halliburton's invoice in a completely unbiased manner?

I realize we should be grateful that you condescend to post with us, but I really don't see how it is arguable that, even if you support this war, the cronies of Bush and Cheney haven't benefitted from this 21st Century Crusade.

Draft saved Draft deleted