1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The greatness that is the Tampa Bay Rays

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Oct 23, 2008.

?

Which MLB team is the greatest team in the history of the sport?

1. 1927 Yankees

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  2. 1975 Reds

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  3. 1970 Orioles

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  4. 1998 Yankees

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 2008 Rays -- In fact, this team is so great, that MLB should fold after this series, since any futur

19 vote(s)
    76.0%
  1. They still can't believe he won a Gold Glove.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

now that's something all of us can support.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And I'm sure the Red Sox were picking up most of his salary. Manny sure in the heck doesn't win the thing by himself.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Exactly.

And even if every move a team makes is a "good one," it doesn't mean shit once they get on the field.

So why are you putting so much stock into the Abreu deal being a "bad baseball trade" when the Phillies have won two NL East titles and their first pennant in 15 years since that move was made?

There are a lot of other factors at work. Not just economics. Not just "good baseball." And you tying this back into the age-old argument about the "level playing field" doesn't change the fact that it's never going to be truly equal -- and most baseball fans are OK with that.

Go pay attention to your "superior" NFL. Nobody wants to fight this fight for the 2,632nd time. ::)

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

other than obtaining jones.

6. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Dools, I've just been annoyed at the ridiculous amount of bandwagon jumping that has taken place with the Rays. Some of it has been on this board, some of it has taken place in my daily life.

And I'm sick of all the hype that has been showered upon some of the Tampa players. I get it, the Rays were so bad for so long that they stockpiled top-tier talent. But to call somebody "Big Game" who plays for a team that has just celebrated its first winning season is a little much. When he pitches a 10-inning shutout in Game 7 of the World Series or when he keeps his team alive for one more game pitching only on one good leg, then he can go by the nickname "Big Game."

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

His own teammates gave him that nickname.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

I think the nickname "Big Game" was more ironic than anything else, but I could be wrong.

As for jumping on the bandwagon...well, yeah. The Rays winning is great for baseball. For many reasons. :) I'm not going out to buy any Rays shirts or hats any time in the next century, but I'd like to see them finish it off.

9. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

That doesn't mean the media has to play it up.

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

They're in the Series, aren't they?

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Come on, KY, you're smarter than that.

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

According to someone, I'm really not.

Draft saved Draft deleted