1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The greatness of Sesame Street

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

My daughter told me that she found out the other day that Cookie Monster doesn't eat cookies anymore. It's all healthy snacks. Can this be true? :'(

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

He still eats some cookies, but he also eats healthy food.

I love the show -- it's great how some of the cutaways are from 30 years ago.

I also think that Elmo may be the most popular character on the planet. My son is 13 months old and not a huge fan of most of the TV that my 4 year old watches, but he just lights up when Elmo's World comes on.

3. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

They got a character on there named Oscar, they treat this guy like shit the entire show. They judge him right in his face, "Oscar you are so mean! Isn't he kids?", "Yeah Oscar! You're a grouch!" It's like, "BITCH! I LIVE IN A FUCKING TRASH CAN!"

Now you wonder why your kids grow up and step over homeless people: 'Get it together, grouch.' "

4. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

Vintage Bert and Ernie ...

5. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Probably a good idea that there was no Muppet Max Weinberg on there, considering all of the things we've heard about him. :D

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Wait, Cookie Monster eats healthy now?! That just isn't right!

7. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

Cookies are a "sometimes" food. However, I have Cookie Monster on my twitter feed and I can tell ya, he is ALWAYS asking about cookies. So clearly, "sometimes" = "more often than not".

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Really is a brilliant show. Unfortunately my daughter is more into The Backyardigans on Noggin, though that's pretty good stuff too, without the spelling, arithmetic, etc.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I tried, but my little one never went for Sesame Street. For some kids, it can be a wonderful teaching tool as well as entertaining. I learned the alphabet and some basic reading skills before Kindergarden from watching Sesame Street. Unfortunately, I have continued to try to learn everything from television since and that part hasn't worked out quite as well. :)

10. Mitch E.

Mitch E. Member

My 4-year-old was watching SS this morning, which is odd because she rarely watches it. I've found she likes the interactive stuff, shows that cater to problem solving -- Blues Clues, Dora, MM Clubhouse, etc. She actually thinks she's participating in those shows.

She does the spelling and arithmetic with workbooks we get her, and her new favorite -- Highlights magazine.

I think I read somewhere a while back that SS always refused to add problem solving elements to the show because the producers didn't think kids would get it.

11. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Another classic, IMHO the pre-eminent work of Bert and Ernie, is "Dance Myself To Sleep."

"Ernie, the sheep are tap-dancing."

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Backyardigans is big in my house, although there just aren't enough episodes.

We're still big on Wonder Pets and the Berenstain Bears has recently been in heavy rotation.

Between the On Demand for FIOS and the websites for the stations, you can pull up a ton of almost any kids show right away.

Draft saved Draft deleted