1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The greatness of LeBron

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, May 23, 2009.

1. So, if he "wants to be great," he has to hit a fadeaway 27-footer at the buzzer.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I love sock puppets.

3. There was also that giant back issue in his last year with Jordan that completely sent his effectiveness to hell WITH Jordan on the court, in 1998.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Pippen was 33 and had major health issues by the time Jordan left. We'll never know how he would have played in his prime without Jordan, but we'll also never know how many championships Jordan would have won in his prime without Pippen.

5. scottie pippen is the single most overrated player in the history of the nba and its not even close

6. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Pippen is easily a top-30 all-time player. That's probably conservative.

1. In 1992-93, the Bulls' third championship, they went 57-25. Jordan retired, and the Bulls dropped just 2 games in the standings the next year. For comparison's sake, the most games Jordan ever won without Pippen was 40.

2. The next year, they lost Horace Grant and Scott Williams, and they still went 47-35, with Jordan coming back at the end. Pippen led the team in points, rebounds, assists, steals, blocks, 3-pointers.

3. Very often, Pippen would draw the toughest defensive assignment on the Bulls, even though Jordan won the DPOY awards.

4. When Pippen went to the Rockets, he basically replaced Clyde Drexler, and the team went from .500 (41-41) to .620 (31-19).

5. He left the Rockets, and they fell to 34-48.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

In other words ...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I am on the newbie's side, to a point.

A great complementary player, but a moody, insecure pouter who caused chemistry problems everywhere he played. Without Jordan to keep him in line, he was more negative than positive.

On the date of the 1998 NBA trade deadline, the Bulls were in Toronto. It was to be their sixth championship season. At the morning shootaround, he openly talked about how he wanted Krause to trade him. A Chicago TV reporter said, "It's only three hours to the deadline." Pippen's reply, "There's still time."

I looked at him and said, "Here in Toronto the players and fans would kill to trade places. Why would you want to leave?" He gave a non-responsive answer. It tells you everything you need to know about the guy.

9. noodles

noodles Member

Greatness of LeBron? Here's the difference between LeBron and Kobe - fans of teams that play host to the Cavaliers sit on the edge of their seats wondering what LeBron will do next - ridiculous dunk, blocked shot, missed free throw. Home fans of teams that play host to the Lakers sit on the edge of their seat scared that Kobe will singlehandedly beat them in the fourth quarter.

Big fricking difference between the two. Let's see James will his team to a tough road win when it matters and wins a championship. Guys like Magic and Bird and Kobe and Michael delivered when they had to - on the road, in the playoffs, when a whole series would turn. Then everyone can babble on about his "greatness." Until then, he's Vince Carter.

Do we really know what matters more to James - getting a ring or becoming the biggest one-man conglomerate sports has ever seen next summer? Not sure.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Kobe didn't exactly deliver when he had to -- on the road, in the playoffs, when a whole series could turn.

Not last night, anyway.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Wow, I nuked my own question.

I love the Pippen debate, so, would you take Pippen over these second fiddles who have won NBA Titles?

My answers

James Worthy? No
    Kevin McHale? No
    Rasheed Wallace? No
    Jamaal Wilkes? Yes
    Mitch Kupchak? No
    Gus Williams? Maybe
    Joe Dumars? Maybe
    Clyde Drexler? Yes

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

What's the question?