1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Great Murdoch iPad Debate

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by derwood, Dec 1, 2010.

1. derwood

derwood Active Member

http://www.observer.com/2010/great-murdoch-ipad-debate

Comments?

2. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

Reading that gives me hope for the journalism industry and I pray it's successful. I think it could make money. Say what you will about Rupert Murdoch, the man knows how to make money.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

One of the guys on my staff just left FanHouse to go to work for them - they must have made a pretty convincing case that it is going to work.

4. derwood

derwood Active Member

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2010/12/does_rumored_partnership_with.html

5. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

It's amazing how fast technology is moving now. I just had a weird thought in my head--are apps going to make the "open Internet" a dinosaur before too much longer?

6. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

What am I missing? How is this better than just going into Safari and going to whatever content site (CNN, espn, FanHouse) that you prefer?

7. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

No. You're in an Apple bubble. So many people find apps a waste of time and a drag on productivity.

I see some great ideas coming out of this... that will be stolen and implemented by established news orgs on the open internet.

It'll be 'The National' of the digital era.

8. CRR13

CRR13 Member

I agree. Here's a perfect example. I live in New England, and I subscribe regularly to the Boston Globe. The mobile site is decent, while the app sucks (crashes constantly). The open-website model will be around for a long time.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It depends who makes the apps. DoApp has signed a lot of newspapers and integrates Adagogo that uses geo-targeting for ad delivery. I haven't had a problem with those apps crashing on my Droid.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Some details on The Daily.

http://gizmodo.com/5749905/all-the-daily-details-leaked

11. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

So, they have their own staff of reporters spread out all over the country? I'll be interested to see what kind of content is offered.

12. derwood

derwood Active Member

Downloaded it to my iPad, it comes with two week free trial. Very sleek however custom navigation is slow and confusing.

Draft saved Draft deleted