1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The great Bleacher Report site to be bought for 200 million!!!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by blog415, Jun 21, 2012.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I'd take this more seriously if it weren't for the word "great" and use of three exclamation points in the headline. Objectivity, anyone?

"There is enough hits and traffic to go around for all" is frightening, too.

But kudos to BR's founders. They're making a ton of money. Get back to us, blog, if you ever see a nickel of it. In my "professional opinion," that won't happen.

2. I can't believe Bleacher Report does all those WAG and sexy babe slideshows either.

I mean, look at this one right here on soccer WAGs --- http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/soccer-wags-meet-hottest-wives-girlfriends-champions-league-edition-gallery-1.40465

Oh, wait, that was the NY Daily News. You know, mainstream media and far more superior than a Bleacher Report. They would never do that.

Oooh, here's some video of Maria Menounos stripping down to her bikini after losing that Super Bowl bet. http://www.sbnation.com/2012-super-bowl/2012/2/7/2782428/maria-menounos-bikini-new-york-giants

Oh, wait. That was SB Nation.

Here's a good one. Strictly NFL WAGs, so you don't have to wade through any international soccer players that you don't know anyway. http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/gallery/nfl-wives-and-girlfriends-wags-gallery-011211#photo-title=Lauren+Tannehill&photo=31084774

Oh ... sorry. That was Fox Sports.

Here's some future WAGs -- girlfriends of NFL draft picks. http://www.footballnation.com/content/hottest-wags-nfl-draft-definite-upside-round-1/14638/

Dammit, sorry again. That was Football Nation.

OK, here's classic Bleacher. Celebrity wardrobe malfunctions. http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/fashion/celebrity-wardrobe-malfunctions-gallery-1.29238

Arrgh! NY Daily News again !

And so weird -- nearly all of them were in slideshow format!?!? I'm flabbergasted.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Is this the "Other People Are As Bad As Us!" defense?

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Mad props for having the top MMA writers. The New Yorker just didn't have enough cash to lure them away.

5. Ha! Good one Ace. But to answer your question, No, not at all sir. Just merely pointing out that others do it as well, and sometimes in the slideshow format.

Does Bleacher Report have a bad rep from sexy slideshows and the tsunami thing? It sure does. But that was 18 months ago. It's a completely different site. Some of the writers brought in are among the most respected in the blogosphere.

The perception of Bleacher is rooted in what it used to be. And, dare I say, few on this board have probably even bothered to check it out lately and are going on old assumptions. Would you still find some questionable writing, some mistakes perhaps, on the site? Yep again. But I guarantee you that if you look hard enough you can pretty much find questionable writing and mistakes from any media property.

Hell, just read this board :) They're pointed out here every day.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

"most respected in the blogosphere" = "tallest midget" or something like that.

Tell us something Bleacher Report contributes -- and by that I mean, actually does on its own instead of just jacking off to something someone else writes.

But, getting back to the point of this thread, good luck with those untold riches you'll soon find. Just don't buy on credit for now.

7. Well Long Time, I would beg to differ on the "tallest midget" analogy. I think anybody on here who truly follows the sportswriting world would be hard-pressed to say that writers like Dan Levy and Adam Kramer, to name two, aren't well-respected and thought highly of, be it online or print.

As for "contributing," I think the Bleacher model is evolving. Has it done so fully yet? No. Is it moving toward that? Yes. Video is a big component, for example, and much of the video is original. We had a series recently ranking the Top 1,000 NFL players that was well-received.

Do we spin off what happens in the news? Yes. As does SB Nation, as does (to a large extent) The Big Lead, as does (to a large extent) Deadspin, as do countless other sites. Again, I believe a lot of this is perception from the past and, yeah, rightfully so. We'll probably always get that kind of reaction, whereas a Deadspin can break journalism ethics on conversations with Jenn Sterger (and show c**k shots to boot!) and gets a free pass.

It is what it is and hopefully someday Bleacher Report will turn that reputation around.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I just checked out BR today and it's still the same old crap. If you think Deadspin gets a free pass here, you aren't really looking.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

A series ranking the top 1,000 NFL players? So what. I could do that. In fact I'm pretty sure I could do it a hell of a lot better than your minimum-wage-or-less lackeys, only I won't do the job at those wages. And a hundred people on this board could do it better than me, if only because I'd defer to my man-crush and put Tebow in the top five. By whom was this series "well-received" anyway?

You ranking 1,000 NFL players is not contributing anything. It wasn't really even that valuable when Peter King tried it not so many years ago, and he actually knows something about the subject.

There still is nothing that B/R does better than anyone else, or even does particularly well, except of course manipulating Google search.

10. Well I appreciate your responses guys and I certainly respect your opinion. And that's what I came on here for -- to make a couple of points and have a respectful discussion. Nobody's saying we're the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I don't think we're 'crap' either :) I think we're growing into a nice sports digital media company, and that takes time. Appreciate the dialogue.

11. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

I clicked on BR once.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

At least NFL Network has it down to 100 players. But LTL makes a point: Is it breaking news, or warming over someone else's breaking news (which they have been busted for on this board before). Or just merely taking up bandwidth with slideshows of cheerleaders and other hotties?

Draft saved Draft deleted