1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Graduate

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Dec 1, 2006.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

OK old-timers, is "Scarborough Fair" supposed to make any sense to sober people?

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

If you were an 18-year-old college freshman when The Graduate came out -- as I was -- it was absolutely the greatest movie ever made. Everything about it in 1967 was perfect.

I went to see it three times in a month during my freshman year in college and will still watch it any chance I get (missed last night, however).
    It ranks behind only Godfather 1 & 2 on my all-time favorites list.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Yes, Buck Henry was effective this way, but I really wanted to beat the crap out of him, I was that angry while watching him communicate early in the movie.

It's funny that this movie won all sorts of acclaim yet Coppola's "You're A Big Boy Now" (made in '66 or '65 when he was doing his thesis at UCLA) is never mentioned. Don't mind the less-than-stellar reviews (;D) because people have no clue what they're talking about. I've seen it a hundred times or so. To me it's like Rocky Horror and never gets boring. It's my all-time favorite movie on a list of 15-20 favorites. Unfortunately the VHS version I owned is no longer with me and I doubt they'd ever make it on DVD. Rip Torn is outstanding.

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Interestingly, Anne Bancroft was only six years older than Dustin Hoffman. Cigarettes will age you like that.

If I ever build a time machine I will go back and marry Katherine Ross.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Saw it in my first year of university at least six times.

"Plastics".

6. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Katherine Ross lived in a neighboring town in the early 80s. I had no idea who she was, but I remember that she was really beautiful and that when I would see her in local stores, the men would all stare at her. She drove a white BMW.

7. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

It's an old English folk song. Suitors asking one another to perform impossible tasks to demonstrate the power of one's ardor was a standard motif in myth-influenced love songs of the era. Just about all Simon and Garfunkel sounds much better when the listener is high, though.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Katherine Ross was also outstanding in a '70s classic -- The Stepford Wives.

9. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I saw it for the first time when I was about 12. I was spending the night at my sister's house (she's 11 years older) and I remember her and my brother-in-law were going to call my parents to make sure it was OK for me to see it. I remember I instantly fell in love with Katherine Ross.

10. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

[/quote]
    Yes, Buck Henry was effective this way, but I really wanted to beat the crap out of him, I was that angry while watching him communicate early in the movie.
    [/quote]

With all due respect to Mr. Henry, one of the comedic greats of our time, he adapted the screenplay. Charles Webb wrote the book.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Hey, stick that in your pantry with your cupcakes!

12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I had a 'Graduate' moment at a party some years ago. An older gentleman was chatting with me and a college chum about our careers. Then he leaned in and said, "I have two words for you: Food....and beverage."

He was right.

So we went for dinner.

Draft saved Draft deleted