1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Godfather

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Shaggy, Aug 4, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

The book also sheds a lot more light on Luca Brasi.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

So I read the book when it was first published in '69 and haven't read it since.

We have a beach holiday coming up so I'll throw it on the pile

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Someone gave me the two new books and they redefine the word dreadful.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The sequel books (The Godfather Returns and The Godfather's Revenge) are awful, because the author, Mark Winegarten (a FSU english comp prof, I believe) focuses most of the plot around a new character, Nick Gerace, who has many of the same biographical details as Winegarten himself. (In other words, writing himself into the story).

As a result, since most of the plot revolves around the adventures of Nick Gerace, the storylines involving the actual characters from the original Godfather canon are ignored or neglected. Michael Corleone appears only intermittently, and other characters are thrown in as afterthoughts. Tom Hagen is killed off in "Revenge" in a completely stupid way, explaining at least why he is dead in "GF III", but totally evading the issue of testing Hagen's ultimate loyalty to Michael Corleone (which was originally supposed to be the central storyline of GF III.)

5. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

... is on Bravo right now. Moe Green is about to get an eyefull.

Draft saved Draft deleted