1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Godfather

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Shaggy, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Obviously I love all the movies, but I've never read any of the books. Anyone think they're worth reading?

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I believe there's only the one book.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Only one book by Puzo. There's a Godfather Returns book banging around out there, but it isn't the same.

And yes, the book is worth reading. Lots of background stuff.

4. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Lotsa stuff on the Johnny Fontane character that wasn't in the movie. Also a lot on Vito's rise to the top.

5. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Saw the movie at least 50 times, probably more, when I bought the book to read on a trip home from Vegas. Couldn't put it down. Finished it on the plane. Outfreakingstanding. And I'm not one to read fiction. Like it's been said, lots of background stuff not in the movie, especially with Johnny.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

No one will ever nominate Puzo for the Nobel Prize. His prose falls in the "nails on the blackboard" Tom Clancy school . It was a big bestseller when it was first published and the perfect beach read.

One of the few examples where the movie is way better than the book.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Loved the Godfather book, one of my all-time faves. My brother gave me The Godfather Returns to read ages ago but I haven't got around to it.

8. part-timer

part-timer Member

The Puzo estate awarded the rights to a Florida State english professor who wrote "The Godfather Returns" and, most recently, "The Godfather's Revenge". Both books tried to fill in any gaps from the end of Part II and the start of Part III, like what happened to the Tom Hagen character, etc. I forced myself to finish the most recent book, but it wasn't very good.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Reading the Godfather underscores what a great job Coppola did in getting to the heart of the story. It may not be great writing, but it's a great read.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Coppola took a trashy piece of fiction and transformed it into a work of art.

11. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

I bought a first edition copy of The Godfather about 10 years ago and thoroughly enjoyed reading it. As previously stated, there is a lot of background info on some of the characters (including Luca Braze, who is a background player in the first hour of Godfather 1 but is truly a bad ass in the book).

It is great reading.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Puzo wrote the book because his more serious efforts failed and he was heavily in debt to bookies.

I think that the book is pure pulp and FFC did more justice than it deserved. Smartly, he cut out the Johnny F. stuff, as well as the pages devoted Lucy Mancini and her oversized vagina.

What is intersting in that FFC included in passing a number of the scenes and people referenced in the book.

The two recent books filling in the blanks in time were just terrible.

Draft saved Draft deleted