1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The global war on Christians

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Apr 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If you can't get behind this, you aren't a true American.

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

These threads always become fun when the atheist bigots show their own lack of tolerance.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Let's strip Christian Laettner of his Olympic gold medal as a ritual sacrifice to Allah. God wills it!

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That all sounds bad, but not as bad as being forced to listen to a service worker say "happy holidays."

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

It's all part of God's will. Maybe he's Muslim?

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Atheist bigots to the left of me, anti-gay marriage to the right.

7. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

I'm going to Palm Sunday mass this morning. Who wants to go with me?

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Good luck dodging the mortars and the hail of gunfire.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, hopefully it's not too dangerous.

[​IMG]

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Tonight we're gonna party like it's 1996.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Dutch Jesuit priest Frans van der Lugt, killed in Syria last week just shy of his 76th birthday, personified the best of the missionary spirit in Catholicism. He spent 50 years in his adopted country, humbly serving poor and disabled persons regardless of their race or religion.

Whenever a Syrian came to his door seeking help, van der Lugt told a friend, “I don’t see Muslims or Christians, only human beings.”

At the time of his death, van der Lugt was the last Westerner in the bitterly contested city of Homs. On Monday morning, a still-unidentified assailant dragged him into the street outside his Jesuit residence, beat him, and then shot him twice in the head.

Most observers believe the killer was an Islamic radical, though a few suspect the Assad regime may have orchestrated the murder in order to blame the rebels.

For the last several years, van der Lugt served at a small center for mentally and physically disabled people. A Muslim charity would give him around nine pounds of flour every week, which he turned into bread, giving half a loaf to the 30 neediest people he knew.

“I try to help the mentally ill,” van der Lugt said in a recent interview, “not by analyzing their problems, as the problems are obvious and there’s no solution for them here. I listen to them and give as much food as I can.”

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

1996 was when the Timberwolves finally got sick of Christian Laettner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.