1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The glamorous life of a sportswriter, Part a trillion

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Della9250, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

How many would turn down the assignment if it meant this?

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Turn down the assignment because you have to fly to SF in the morning and fly back at night?

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I get that budgets are slashed... but you can't spring for a hotel room for one of your columnists? For one night?

(Maybe Politi needed to be back in town early Monday, in which case I'll eat lots of crow.)

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Without love, it ain't much.

cjericho, HC and PCLoadLetter like this.
  5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I can't believe any paper would send a writer coast to coast on a one-day assignment for fear of something going wrong with the plane getting there (delays at Newark. Unpossible!). Has to be some other reason.

daytonadan1983 likes this.
  6. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

Shelia E.!

7. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Is he booking his own flight? Those football flights fill once the schedule gets announced. I'd guess he was trying to fly direct - god forbid a columnist take a connecting flight - and there was no Monday morning option.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'd like to know more about the circumstances. I'm thinking this might have been a last-minute decision to send him because of the Eli/Geno development during the week? A round-trip ticket would have been crazy expensive. Or maybe he had a personal reason for wanting to be at home Saturday. If this was the plan many weeks ago, then yes, that's terrible from management.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

And maybe he had to haul ass home knowing that it was highly likely that the team was cleaning house today.

10. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Mystery solved.

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

That sounds kind of thrilling. Like ambulance chasing or watching fires.

12. Carlkolchak

Carlkolchak Member

Here's a worse horror story. Kei Nishikori advanced to the semis of the Miami Open a few years ago. So a bunch of Japanese media sent over about ten reps to cover Nishikori in the semifinal. They all arrived all the way from Tokyo to find out a few hours later that Nishikori withdrew from the tournament because if an injury or exhaustion. Youch.

Draft saved Draft deleted