1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The girl in the window

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bob Cook, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

agreed.

2. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

indeed.

3. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Just read all the way through. What an incredible piece of journalism, and what an incredibly sad story.

It's just inconceivable to think of someone who could do that to anyone, let alone their own child. Boggles the mind.

4. jps

jps Active Member

it's even more baffling when I've got a little girl, working on 3, waiting for me at home. I love that little girl more than life itself, and have from the moment I first saw her on the untrasound when she was nothing more than a little peanut.
    four years ago, this story would have made me sad/happy. after becoming a parent, it nearly brings tears to my eyes on both ends of the spectrum.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Great work.

That's close to a perfect a story.

An interesting site I found.

http://www.feralchildren.com/en/index.php

Back in the 1970s, schools and the government went door-to-door to make sure all children were being educated since it was now law.

I'm pretty sure this is the way the Genie girl in the story was found. I also remember hearing about the other horrors they were uncovering in this search.

6. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

For me, I guess what is surprising is the shocked reaction. As if this were some type of aberration.

It is not.

Think otherwise if it makes you happy.

Brutality and neglect are a staple for the powerless. Few are more powerless than children. What few wish to acknowledge is the effect of such brutality and neglect on the youngest among us.

You do not recover. You may, if you are strong enough or lucky enough, learn to cope after a fashion. But the damage is not repairable. Not by human hand.

7. EE94

EE94 Guest

why, because it's not a sidebar about two-a-days?

8. Wonderful, wonderful -- yet heartbreaking -- story.

My mom works for Child Protective Services, and it wouldn't surprise me to see her come home in tears and heartbroken because of the things that people will do to or around their children. Had she experienced this situation, I'm not sure she could ever go back to work.

Thanks for the link.

9. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Wonderful and horrible story at the same time. I'm glad Dani finally found the love she'd been missing for so long.

10. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

God damn, what a fantastic story - One I wish could never have been written at all, but am glad was. It just cuts right to the essence of humanity, it's hard not to play around with your heartstrings. Hell, other animals routinely show more compassion than what that mother showed Dani.

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Too bad you weren't speechless.

12. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Wow...

Draft saved Draft deleted