1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The gift bag

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by OceanLottery, Oct 27, 2011.

1. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Take the bag, then write a column about all the free garb you got. I hear this is endearing to readers.

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Who's wrong? Everyone. You should have all taken two bags apiece.

3. mash4077

mash4077 New Member

My general rule is not to take anything if it's not available to everyone, though I've had pens, notepads and other small things inserted into press packets. I've also had gifts brought for me to the newsroom from time to time. If I was there, I'd politely decline. If I wasn't there and it was left for me, I'd give it to a charity or Goodwill.

4. JPsT

JPsT Member

Oh, look. It's this thread again.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Come on.. one name. Just one name.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

At this point in the newspaper industry, with how we're being treated, fuck it. Grab all you can. If you can get bought for a backpack or golf umbrella, you probably should be a male whore somewhere.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Waiting to hear from three_bags_full.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Sweatshirts and DVDs don't sound "really nice" to me, to be honest. If they're handing out DVD players and taking everyone in back for suit measurements, that's different.

9. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

The two conference basketball tournaments I covered, I got a CD carrying case and a soft cooler with the conference logo on them. I don't see any issue with something like that.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've always hated to perpetuate the stereotype of freebie-loving writer - realizing that they aren't really providing "you" with a gift, but whomever drew the assignment.
    My guidelines, don't be rude and risk insulting someone by not taking something they offer you. Then take it back to the office and donate it to those auctions or sales most newsrooms have to raise money for the publisher's favorite cause or a fundraiser you personally support.

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Get bag, give items to homeless shelter or Red Cross. Win/win.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I can't be bought for a t-shirt and a DVD, but I'd be glad to provide my rate card.

Draft saved Draft deleted