1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Giants aren't bringing back Barry Bonds -- press conf at 5 pm PT

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BB Bobcat, Sep 21, 2007.

1. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

The reason for the press conference was that when the Giants told Bonds privately that they weren't re-signing him, he announced it on his website. The Giants then held the PC, knowing that otherwise they'd be fielding calls from every newspaper, radio and TV station in the Bay Area, not to mention all the big national outlets. It didn't have so much to do with Bonds being an icon, it was just a way to answer all the questions at once.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

I disagree. The Angels NEED to find a left fielder with less range, mobility and desire than Garret Anderson. If only for my amusement.

3. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

If he goes to the Angels it will be shocking, IMO. Is Juan Rivera a free agent after this season? If not, that's one more DH to add to the Angels' mix.

I do find the A-Rod to SF item interesting. Why not follow up the all-time HR leader with the next one in line?

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

anderson a piece of shit in the clubhouse, too?

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Barry should have no problem finding a job as a DH. His 1.053 OPS is second only to A-Rod among guys who's played more than 100 games. A $10 million contract would pay for itself in terms of increased viewership, box office and publicity.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Where the hell would he play? He needs a fucking road map to play left field these days.

7. markvid

markvid Guest

He couldn't. No one will take him as an outfielder and all he wants to do is DH.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Barry's a much better value in the AL where he can get his at-bats without wearing down his legs in the outfield. It won't be Pittsburgh.

9. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I see Baltimore and actually the White Sox as better options than most people do.

Especially if the Cubs make the postseason, and have a nice run, and do something crazy like sign A-Rod in the offseason, doesn't little ugly Southside stepsister at that point have to do something crazy, like sign Bonds?

10. markvid

markvid Guest

No, we've said this countless times - Barry will not go anywhere that he has to play a position.

11. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

You're not talking to me, are you? I mentioned two AL teams.

12. markvid

markvid Guest

No, it was for a few posts back, sorry.

Draft saved Draft deleted