1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Giants aren't bringing back Barry Bonds -- press conf at 5 pm PT

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BB Bobcat, Sep 21, 2007.

1. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

If people weren't packing the park to watch him chase Aaron (and from what I've read, they weren't), they're sure not coming out to watch him now.

2. markvid

markvid Guest

Never. Not one NL team would even consider him.
    You're going to pay that much for someone you can't DH?

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

It's a shame there's not elevation/relegation like there is in the Premiership, otherwise Pittsburgh would've been sent to AAA, where it rightly belongs, years ago.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

But who would come up?

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you raise a good point. i remember nobody wanting him ... even SF.

6. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

The lack of market for him last year is an excellent point about what he'll face this winter. Last year he was a year younger and still had 756 in his sights, and still no one wanted him.

I am not saying he'll voluntarily retire, but he may have no choice.

I'm putting at 60-40 he won't play.

The poster who suggested no to Anaheim is probably right. They're a longshot. I just know that would be his choice, so I included them. Every team is going to say publicly or privately, that they don't want him. But it only takes one team to realize, on Jan. 15, that they might be able to get a 25-HR hitter for $6 million.

Baltimore is a good call, too.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

After stating that he wanted to win a World Series Championship, could he realisticaly go to Baltimore, Texas, KC, Tampa?
    Toronto has Frank Thomas for another year, Boston has Ortiz, NY has Giambi/Damon/Matsui, The Tigers have Sheffield (THOUGH THAT WOULD BE THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH, THE BARRY AND GARY, AN EGOMANIANIAC'S REALITY SHOW. no for the Angels as discussed
    The Twins & Indians could use him, from purely a baseball POV.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Not so sure. The Tigers are rotting away from the inside due to Dombrowski/Ilitch's obsession with signing guys on the old-and-injury-prone end of the free-agent spectrum. Sheffield may be done -- he's playing on cortisone now, but he has said he'll retire rather than undergo shoulder surgery -- and Kenny Rogers is more than likely finished as well.

Guillen is done at shortstop -- his knees have degenerated to the point he can't play the position anymore. The plan is to switch him to first base, but that would make him, instead of a well-above-average-hitting SS, a slightly-above-average 1B.

Ordonez, while he has had a great season offensively, has been abysmal defensively -- another guy they are going to have to stick at 1B or DH to keep him in the lineup.

Pudge is coming to the end of the road. A 35-year-old catcher (with back injuries in the past) who has dropped 20 points off his BA, not too hard to figure out what's the next number in THAT progression. Yet another guy they will want to DH/1B to get him in the lineup.

Unfortunately, this is what happens when you load up on 35, 37, 39, 42-year-old free agents. It's like buying a real nice-looking 1992 model car with 175,000 miles on it. It worked for about 2/3 of one season, but the engine's starting to burn oil.

Signing a 43-year-old free agent who has missed large parts of the last three seasons would be like buying a new set of flat tires.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

You don't see this for anyone else...

All I'm sayin'.

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Bonds is holds MLB's records for career home runs, single season home runs; has been THE organization for 15 years; has won 7 N.L. MVPs and is going into Cooperstown five years after he retires.

It's necessary for the Giants to hold a press conference to explain why they aren't bringing him back and what their plans are.

11. KYSportsWriter

I know all that.

But as the great JDV says, I'm a B*nds hater.

12. KYSportsWriter

I guess I don't have one after all.

Oh well.

Draft saved Draft deleted