1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Gazette newspapers in Maryland to be shuttered

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by franticscribe, Jun 12, 2015.

1. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Really sad news out of Maryland. The Gazette community papers are closing after Bezos couldn't find a buyer for them.

Their sister papers in Southern Maryland are being sold to the Cecil Whig & Easton Star Democrat's parent company - Adams Publishing.

I got my start in Southern Maryland and worked with some really great people in both newspaper groups.

The Gazette Set to Close - Bethesda Beat

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Will the newspapers in Southern Maryland remain as stand alone entities or will they be rolled into Cecil and Easton papers?

3. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

It would be difficult to roll them together since they're on opposite sides of the bay. I suspect they'll continue as a stand-alone, with maybe some consolidation of ad sales and some corporate functions.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

This sucks. Know some people at the PG and Montco Gazettes, and always thought they did some really nice work, especially compared to some of their competitors. I can't imagine they were that expensive to run.

The Post did find a buyer for the Fairfax County Times, so at least they will continue.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

This is very sad to hear.

6. TopSpin

TopSpin Member

Draft saved Draft deleted