1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Gabby Petito story

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Sep 20, 2021.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

That is heartbreaking. I hope she's found healthy and simply lost.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

My wife and I got into a discussion at a bar with two other women about LMN. We agreed there are elements that appear in almost every LMN movie:
    1. Someone's getting thrown down a flight of stairs.
    2. Someone will get stabbed by something gnarly, like a serrated knife or a Phillips screwdriver.
    3. If the psycho is a guy and the victim a girl, there's always one friend she should have listened to.
    4. If the reverse is true, no one warns the guy off.
    5. The cops won't believe the victim or potential victim at first ... and when they do they're pretty much worthless. With two minutes to go in the movie, they'll come speeding up to the house and burst through the door, but the victim has already managed to get the drop on the psycho after a chase scene through every room in the house, after which the psycho is killed by falling on the serrated knife, falling down the stairs or getting shot in a struggle for the gun.

4. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Couple years ago three, four friends and I got together and had some wine and watched a Hallmark Christmas movie. It was the first time I'd ever watched a Hallmark Christmas movie. It was also the last time. And my friends never wanted to watch with me again because all I did was snark and giggle the entire time because it was just so bad.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Where all the "All Lives Matter" people when we need them?

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I spent my most recent road trip listening to a season of "Live and Die" in LA. It was about an 20 year old Korean American woman who as still missing.

The woman lived in Glendale, California with her mother. She was last seen leaving the estate of her boyfriend in Calabasas. Almost a week later after her car and purse were found with her purse inside along the Pacific Coast Highway.

The mother reported her daughter as missing after about a day and the police took a report but that was it. They became more concerned when the car showed up. In fairness to the police, this woman would go missing for up to a week a time. People get in their car and leave all the time, especially when they are in troubled relationships such as the one between the mother and daughter. And that is legal.

The second problem is the fragmented nature of policing. The Glendale robbery/homicide division is four cops. There are not many murders in Glendale so they mostly work robbery. These guys are not CSI. They would evidently not pay $3K to have someone open up the cell phone. There seemed to be problems because the car was found well outside of the Glendale jurisdiction and Glendale police were not going to drive up to Malibu to question people.

And as an aside. Always support your local police making competitive wages. I worked for a county in exurban Denver years ago. By policy, because they were cheap. cops got 85% of the market survey. The end result was if we hired a patrolman and he could pass the police academy, get a Colorado Law Enforcement License and did not overtly screw up and get the county sued for a couple years he would get picked up by a suburban Denver force that paid better and had a much better retirement. The guys left behind were not always that impressive. And I bet that is true in many jurisdictions in Wyoming.

7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Laci Peterson...

When it involves a bit of mystery/intrigue and, seemingly, a spouse or significant other, interest in the story increases exponentially, no matter who's involved.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

And they shitcan The Golden Girls every year for two months to air that crap.

lakefront and Dyno like this.
  9. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

All Lifetime/Hallmark movies are the same story, just set in a different location and/or time of year.
    In many cases, it's the same actors.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I forget who pointed out that Lifetime movies are just Hallmark movies with murder substituted for Christmas.

11. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Liut likes this.
  12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

She was found safe. No further details.

Dog8Cats, OscarMadison and qtlaw like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted