1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Gabby Petito story

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Sep 20, 2021.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Why is this story getting so much national attention? Is it the weirdness of the boyfriend just showing back up without her and not saying anything, the novelty of #vanlife, the social media influencer angle or just because she's a pretty white girl? All of the above?

2. rubenmateo

rubenmateo Active Member

The boyfriend’s family also keeping their mouths shut about anything he said upon returning, even now that he’s gone missing, is bewildering.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

A teacher on my timeline was wondering the same thing.

Screenshot_20210920-082909_Facebook.jpg

4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Nancy Grace loves them missing or dead white girls. Harpy gold.

Twirling Time likes this.
  5. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Pretty white girl likely killed by boyfriend/spouse is usually enough to generate national headlines. Add in the social media angle and the behavior of the bf after the story broke and I see why it's getting a lot of attention. Not that I agree with it.

I wish more attention was being paid to the Khaleesi Cuthriell killing/disappearance because there are some major institutional fuck ups that had to have happened in that case. But since most of the people involved are methheads, I don't think it's been more than a regional story so far.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

7. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

White girl, social media "look at me" princess, mystery = gotta search, get Th' Meedia involved

Anyone else? Meh, just another case for the pile.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I’m pretty sure if given the chance she’d waive the privilege of being a dead pretty white girl

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

She is from the New York area. The New York Post has put it up top, day after day on its website, going on a week and a half or so. I wonder if them hammering it that way caused others to jump on it, too.

10. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Fox has had a reporter standing in front of the parents house for a week
    NBC followed about three days later and it sent someone to Utah
    Keith Morrison is probably practicing his voiceovers right about now

Liut and tapintoamerica like this.
  11. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

My gut feeling is that this discussion should be on the mental health thread.

12. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted