1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Future of ND Football

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

They fired Willingham to chase Meyer. They aren't going through that again.

2. Dick Whitman

http://espn.go.com/chicago/ncf/story/_/id/6829875/notre-dame-fighting-irish-reinstate-michael-floyd-dui-suspension

3. Dick Whitman

In 2009, Floyd was cited for underage consumption of alcohol in his home state of Minnesota, and pleaded guilty through a hearing officer a month later.

Floyd also was cited for underage drinking in Minneapolis on Jan. 8, 2010. Floyd and Minnesota running back Shady Salamon, who were former high school teammates in St. Paul, Minn., were cited after police were called to a fight involving six to 10 people.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Rudy was mindless entertainment but I always thought it was the Notre Dame hype machine personified. One walkon got in for one play. If that's a 2-hour movie, than former Florida quarterback Kerwin Bell (a walkon from a little town in Florida known for chicken farming who started for four years) or former FSU d-lineman Andre Wadsworth (who went to the smallest enrollment school in Florida that had football) should be a three-part mini series.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Not saying I agree, but I think two national titles will make a lot of people look the other way on the questionable (I'm being kind...) players that Meyer recruited at Florida.

I'm sure there's a handful he could try to blame on Zook.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Notre Dame needs to accept the fact that they're Navy with a TV contract; a throwback to the way things used to be. Cadillac ain't "the standard of the world" anymore, US Steel isn't the titan they once were and Notre Dame isn't the feared foe that they were in the days of Independents and no lights in college football stadiums. Shit changes.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't know, I'm sure a lot of people preferred Meyer or Gruden, but there was a ton of talk about Kelly for a long time. This from an AOL blog from Nov. 2008, more than a year before he got the job:

http://www.aolnews.com/2008/11/29/next-stop-on-the-brian-kelly-speculation-tour-notre-dame/

And an ND blog around that time:

http://weisnd.blogspot.com/2008/11/brian-kellyclap-clap-clapclapclap.html

Point being, Notre Dame always believes it's so close and they just need a new coach. In reality they're nowhere close to being good. Those highly ranked recruiting classes are proving only that those rankings work in reverse, with players getting higher grades because they chose Notre Dame.

8. Dick Whitman

This isn't 1984 any more. That doesn't happen.

9. LongTimeListener

Hell yes it does. Dayne Crist, anyone?

10. Dick Whitman

Dayne Crist's recruiting ranking went up after he committed to Notre Dame?

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Oh thank God. I was hoping someone would start a Notre Dame thread.

12. LongTimeListener

His profile was higher to begin with because ND was on his list. Just go back through the rankings and see how many of those four- and five-star kids get to campus looking like anything more than a run-of-the-mill SEC player.

Draft saved Draft deleted