1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Future Is In Solar Power

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Not:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/23/us/politics/in-rush-to-assist-solyndra-united-states-missed-warning-signs.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&hp

[​IMG]

“It’s here that companies like Solyndra are leading the way toward a brighter and more prosperous future,” the president declared in May 2010 to the assembled workers and executives. The start-up business had received a $535 million federal loan guarantee, offered in part to reassert American dominance in solar technology while generating thousands of jobs.

But behind the pomp and pageantry, Solyndra was rotting inside, hemorrhaging cash so quickly that within weeks of Mr. Obama’s visit, the company canceled plans to offer shares to the public. Barely a year later, Solyndra has become one of the administration’s most costly fumbles after the company declared bankruptcy, laid off 1,100 workers and was raided by F.B.I. agents seeking evidence of possible fraud.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This one is going to haunt Obama for the next 14 months.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Lone nut.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't disagree. But what I don't get is the glee that comes from the right when green energy plans don't work out.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Wouldn't call it glee at green energy not working.

I would say it's another example of this administration making another breathtakingly stupid choice and this president proving once again he is completely undeserving of the office he holds.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Wait, this isn't a thread expressing shock that there aren't threads about this topic?

8. Dick Whitman

From a guy who, I'm guessing, voted for Sarah Palin.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

So that thread is now retroactively wrong?

10. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

Dick, I'm not going to pretend I speak for the "right," but personally I take no glee in the reality that more than $500 million of taxpayer money wound up in the pockets of Obama donors who have subsequently chosen to seek constitutional protection against self-incrimination rather than testify at a Congressional inquiry.

I'm all for pursuing alternative energy sources. You'd have to have your head buried in Saudia Arabian sand to not acknowledge the fact that we will run out of oil at some point, and we are tasked to find a way to reduce our dependence on oil as supply continues to dwindle.

My skepticism stems from the fact that every time there's some sort of "breakthrough," it never turns out to be worth the hype.

11. Dick Whitman

Nuclear power.

The sooner we realize it, the better.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Just as Enron proved that electricity would never, ever work.

Draft saved Draft deleted