1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Funnies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by OscarMadison, Feb 14, 2021.

1. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

HanSenSE, maumann and Batman like this.
  2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Beginning Monday, all McClatchy papers going to standardized comics and puzzles pages as opposed to each product having its own vendor-supplied version.

No more Dilbert in Fort Worth. No more Gil Thorp in Columbia. As they ran separately from a main comics page (Dilbert on the biz page; Thorp in Sports). Reader outrage sure to follow, which is why they're posting three days of "Dear Readers" warnings.

You just need to know "how" to read it.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I adored Bloom County, still have some of the books, and there are three stuffed Opii somewhere in my studio.

When Breathed returned to cartooning, it seemed like he was more regressive about women than I remembered. A handful of us tried to explain why we weren't crazy about a series of strips he did devoted to being "friend-zoned." I tried to be sympathetic about it and one of his web people responded that they'd seen my picture and it was no wonder I knew what that was like. So I may have taken that personally and should have stayed objective even though I was no longer reviewing funnies/comics by then. I never warmed up to the revived BC. Copping to that right now.

Thing is, I'm generally not likely to clutch my pearls over cartoonists who prefer that their women reflect cheesecake of days past. Pretty pictures are pretty pictures. My CIS-het self thought Frank Cho's Liberty Meadows was lovely even when most of my colleagues were screaming for his head.

liberty meadows.jpg

This is my favorite Pastis strip. I appliqued Rat in the last frame on a sweatshirt.

PBW Hockey.png

maumann and Songbird like this.
  4. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

5. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Have tried - and failed - to get Dilbert several times. Also sums up my feelings about "The Office." When it comes to workplace humor, give me Dagwood v. Mr. Dithers any time.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    OscarMadison likes this.
  7. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I liked the minor characters in the American Office. (Creed and Phyllis are my favorite characters.) Admitting to an appreciation for Gareth in the UK Office. MacKenzie Crook held his own so well with Toby Jones in The Detectorists, it made me want to revisit the original Office to see what I'd missed the first time. I was cringing too hard back then to notice much.

I know a half-dozen engineers of varying flavors. Below is a comprehensive list of every one of them who enjoys Dilbert:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    sgreenwell and maumann like this.
  8. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

When I worked for large newspapers chains, I loved Dilbert because so much of the bureaucracy modeled what happened at my various jobs and life. Once I left that world, my desire to read it practically died because I couldn’t relate to it.

Same thing with Get Fuzzy. When I was a single guy, that comic spoke to me. Now, I read old strips and it just doesn’t make sense.

Of course, I only read the serial comics as stated earlier and maybe glance at Sally Forth but that is too depressing because now my life mirrors Ted Forth and that is more than I can handle.

Draft saved Draft deleted