1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The French are striking again... But they do have socialized health care

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Nov 17, 2007.

1. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Ragu:

I don't know what the numbers are. I used yours--15%. That's probably pretty close. I assume that's pretty close to what it costs to insure those who are currently insured. I'm guessing that once you take out the inefficiencies put in the system by the insurance companies and the drug companies, you can probably pay for most of the currently uninsured.

Remember, I'm not trying to bring all the French social benefits here, just the medical care. There are problems with government systems--waiting, bureaucracy and others-- but at the root, no one goes bankrupt to pay for medical care and no one dies because they're too poor for medical care. And that's what I'd like to see here.

2. Other countries have debt problems.
    That's hilarious, right there.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

At some point Ragu will collapse from exhaustion or find another topic to obsess over.

We don't have a "nationalized system of health care". We have a private system funded by the government.

Our health care system has never created a "debt crisis" . That's just plain silly.

Instead of having some sort of ideological circle jerk, what we do is try and solve actual problems,

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20071126.wwaittimes1126/BNStory/National/home

This is not an ideological issue. This is a public policy issue to ensure that we have the proper resources and that they're allocated properly.

Anybody who thinks that ANY industrialized nation is going to mimic the US system is on crack.

4. Your country is coming apart and you don't know it.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Blame the lack of attention to a fundamentally sound backhand.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm going home and hide under the bed.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And you can blame that on curved sticks.

8. I blame it on Harold Ballard myself.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Curved sticks?

Seems like a stretch.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

George Orwell is very proud of you.

Sorry, couldn't resist. That was meant in fun.

11. No. Everything that's gone wrong in the world since the fall of man.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Oh. That's perfectly reasonable. Carry on.

Draft saved Draft deleted