1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The four TV-show food groups

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shotglass, Jan 17, 2007.

1. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Monday: Juco basketball doubleheaders
    Tuesday: High school sports
    Wednesday: The boss will find something for me to do
    Thursday: See Monday
    Friday: See Tuesday
    Saturday: All of the above
    Sunday: Football if I can wake up early enough, Venture Bros. if I can stay up late enough

Most of my TV viewing these days is History Channel or Adult Swim on Cartoon Network (odd that those are channels 50 and 51 on my cable package).

Having worked for morning papers most of my career, I haven't regularly watched primetime programming since some time around 1991. I never saw Friends or Seinfeld until syndication, and don't feel like I missed anything.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Talent shows are as old as TV. In fact, they were among the first types of shows to be presented on RADIO! (Major Bowes, etc.) I don't watch American Idol because I don't like the style of music which shapes the competition, but the idea it represents some new depth of popular culture is absurd.

3. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Yep, TiVO makes more TV watching possible. And that's not necessarily a bad thing. There are some very good shows out there, programmed against some other very good shows. TiVo makes seeing more good TV possible.

Bad TV too (My daughter is a big BIG fan of "The Hills")

4. tommyp

tommyp Member

These fall under the second food group:

MythBusters and South Park.

As far as can't miss, the obvious choice for me is NY Giants football.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I've always said the one guaranteed way to fuck up a perfectly good bar is to install a karaoke machine. You couldn't pay me to watch American Idol.

Other than sports, the only shows Mrs. Armchair and I watch are:

The Sopranos
    Anthony Bourdain
    Lost

That's about it.

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

The can't-miss. Idol and Entourage are the only two right now that fit.

You get it, and it's good. Grey's. Project Runway.

You watch it with your man to keep the peace. NBA basketball.

No. Just no. WWE Smackdown.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

You know what I like about you dog, instead of responding to the same hatred you threw to the Republican that they threw back, you try to say the Republican should answer the original question. That's what I like about you dog.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Hey, I resemble those remarks! All of them, actually ...

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Agreed, and that is why Buck is really poster of the year. Because he understands people on this site.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Agreed on everything Buck said. I went a year without cable and didn't miss it at all.

I was shamelessly addicted to Project Runway and Dog the Bounty Hunter, since cured. I watch a lot of PBS and CNBC. But that's about it. I can't remember the last non-sports related programming that I genuinely loved.

Draft saved Draft deleted