1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"The Force Awakens" (with SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 18, 2015.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

That means nothing to me as far as the movie goes.

2. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Good point. To stick with this theory, I'll amend it to Leia was pregnant with their second child when Han left and she never told him.

Or, yeah, probably Luke's daughter.

3. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I don't see a reason why Rey has to be from the Skywalker lineage. That already exists in Ben/Kylo. I know it was Lucas's premise, and he's not in charge anymore, but the films were always about a Skywalker. The new films could do the opposite, in which I could see Rey as a granddaughter to Kenobi, trying to redeem/defeat Ben/Kylo.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I like the fan theory that Rey is a Palpatine.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

How about a Yoda?
    He was adorable. I bet he was slaying it on Coruscant back in the day.

Ace, Jssst21 and sgreenwell like this.
  6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Ah, that's stupid. It's based on one underhand thrust of the light saber in the fight against Kylo Ren.

"Hey Palpatine used that same move in his fight against Mace Windu in ROTS! That proves it!" Like Rey would somehow inherit light saber fighting style from a grandfather (??) she never knew, never met, and who died ( we think) 10 years before she was born. And as far as we know, Palpatine hadnt done any light saber battling since ROTS, which was 50 years before TFA.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Actually, it is based on the idea that at least one of her parents has to be a Force-sensitive character from the first six movies and it would feel quite lame if it was some Jedi who had 10 seconds of screen time, so the number of options is quite limited.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I've really been wondering how they are going to deal with Leia's death. That's going to take some creativity.

9. Starman

I think they'll somehow rewrite it that Leia's death will be instrumental or pivotal in turning Kylo/Ben back.

You would think they might have shot enough scenes with enough lines from Fisher they could edit in that direction.

I'd guess that was probably the general plan all along anyway but the conversion/redemption of Kylo, and the death of Leia, wasn't going to take place until Ep. 9.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

She'll be in Ep. VIII because they've already wrapped shooting that. I've heard speculation they could recast Leia like they did when the actor who played Dumbledore died. Disney already shot down the idea of using CGI to keep her in Ep. IX and I think it would be a great disservice to have Leia die off screen. We'll see.

11. Starman

Having Leia die turning her son back to the good side (and saving the galaxy in the process) would be the perfect completing-the-circle parallel to the way both her own parents, Anakin and Padme, died.

It would be kinda cliched and predictable, yeah, but that's kinda what this is all about anyway: thematic archetypes.

12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with Leia dying, I just don't want the first image we see in Ep. IX be Leia's funeral from some battle we didn't get to see.

Draft saved Draft deleted