1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Foodie Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Key

Key Well-Known Member

YF - Thanks for sharing.

KJIM - as a current resident on the Bayou, I too would be intersted in the recipe for fried red beans and rice balls.

Probably the oddest meal I had was ostrich, which was damn tasty. Also, being somewhat near New Orleans, I've been able to enjoy many a fine meal in the Big Easy.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Here's the melon shot with whipped ham:

[​IMG]

I posted photos of each course here if anyone is interested:

http://twitpic.com/photos/KevinCGallagher

3. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I've put in a request. She found it somewhere, so it's not like it's a secret, but it's a matter of getting her to sit down and send it to me.

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Mrs. W is taking me to the James Beard House for my birthday. Our favorite restaurant in NJ has been invited to cook there for a night. They focus on food from local farms and for the event are having a tasting menu with some very nice French wine. The best looking course is the Crispy Pork Belly with Smoked Nugget Potatoes and Tomatillo Salsa Verde

5. YankeeFan

That sounds great. Would love to go to dinner there sometime.

I love pork belly too. After spending nearly $400 on Friday between the meal, tax, tip, and wine we went to Chinatown last night.

I had the pork belly, and the total cost for two, with tax and tip was $32.00.

6. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Shut Up! You had me at Foie Gras.

The best Foie Gras I ever had was at Restaurant Bouchard in Newport, RI. Definitely worth a stop if you are in the Ocean State.

http://www.restaurantbouchard.com/menu.asp

Oh, and the souffle, Magnifique!

7. YankeeFan

He cooked up an entire Foie Gras that she showed to us in the pan before he divided it up among the 10 of us.

I don't eat foie gras very often at all, but this was delicious. Probably the dish that most exceeded my expectations.

8. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Foie Gras is delicious, but I just can't enjoy it knowing how it's produced. I normally have no concerns when it comes to eating animals, but I just have this issue with that particular dish.

Well, swordfish, too, but that's for different reasons.

9. YankeeFan

It was actually banned here for two years:

Chefs freaked out. Said we were basically a laughing stock in the culinary world as a result. and it was eventually rescinded.

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The best meal I ever had (on my honeymoon), the first course was a seared foie gras. Can't describe how good that was.

11. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

There is almost nothing as tasty as foie gras if it's done right. Sinful.

12. YankeeFan

Even ketchup can have its day:

[​IMG]
    At America Eats Tavern in Washington, ketchups include blueberry (top left), mushroom (middle left), red currant (bottom right) and yellow tomato (center).

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted