1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Foodie Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Aug 3, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Dinner at graham elliott last night:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

He should think about buying some smaller plates.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Heh-heh. Exactly what I was thinking before I saw your comment, Ragu.

YF ... what were the dishes? And were they good?

4. YankeeFan

The first picture is the menu. Everything was really good. There wasn't a single dish we didn't like.

The sweetbreads and the cheese courses were probably our favorites.

5. godshammgod

godshammgod Member

Just returned from my honeymoon and ate some delicious food in Hilton Head/Charleston/Savannah. No pictures, sadly.

Two highlights:

I finally ate at Husk. For me, it met the hype. The crispy pig tail appetizer was as delicious as I expected. We also started with a smoked oyster stew. It may have been the best thing I ate the entire trip. For entrees, my wife got (and I helped consume) a bene seed lacquered duck leg, while I received a perfectly cooked piece of Red Porgy. Dessert was buttermilk pie. This is not extravagant cooking, and I didn't expect it. It's local food that is prepared simply and very well. We also visited the bar before our reservation, and it was quite awesome.

Second highlight was a place in Hilton Head called Chef David's Roast Fish and Cornbread. Delicious seafood and the best hushpuppies I've ever had. Also, we had a small cup of some alligator gumbo. Probably the second best thing I ate on the trip.

Also, if anyone has a chance, visit the Westbrook Brewery in Mount Pleasant. Great tour/tasting session.

6. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

For Thanksgiving, I want to add a few tablespoons of brandy into the mix when I'm making gravy. Anyone want to say 'aye' or 'nay' to the idea?

7. YankeeFan

We went to a local restaurant on Saturday that is doing a Salvador Dali inspired menu, which was reviewed in Today's Trib:

[​IMG]

http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/food/chi-ing-dali-dinner-20131205-20131205,0,5040263.story

Food was good, and inventive, if not overwhelming in its quantity. Meal went a little too long -- nearly four hours -- and the bench seating on the one side of the table was not very comfortable.

8. YankeeFan

Guy is coming out with a coffee line. Because really good coffee’s always been super important to Guy, his Keurig compatible will, "be the real deal with big bold flavors."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/31/guy-fieri-flavortown-roasts_n_4702712.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003&ir=Food

As you may have already guessed, the flavors will make any coffee purist sick.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Speaking of coffee, Jay Leno was on CCC and had (if we're to believe) his first cup of coffee, ever.

Funny bit. And one of the stronger episodes.

http://comediansincarsgettingcoffee.com/jay-leno-comedy-is-a-concealed-weapon

10. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I think Guy's getting his coffee flavor list and Netflix queue confused again ...

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

The Super Bowl menu will include:

[​IMG]

Gnocchi Gratin with Gorgonzola Dolce

[​IMG]

Lobster Newburg

[​IMG]

Lil' Smokies with Maple Syrup

[​IMG]

Snickers Bark

On the side: Beer, wine, liquor, soda for the weak, chips, assorted nuts and Pepcid.

12. John

John Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted