1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The flu

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Feb 28, 2009.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You should take in a lot of fluids and get lots of rest.

2. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

And don't be a hero. I tried to work through it last year, and I'm convinced that added at least two or three days to my misery.

3. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

The flu shot was apparently effective this year.

Pediatrician friend of mine said he's had 35 kids test positive for the flu. Only one of the 35 kids was vaccinated.

4. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Right on. A friend recently had a bout with the flu -- he was so dehydrated, he ended up in the hospital for five days.

Didn't stop him from listening to a game he was planning to cover on the radio, and writing a column on it, though.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Exactly. Brevity is the key to getting to the 30K mark ;)

6. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Here's my routine when I start feeling ill and it continues through the illness:

Strip my bedding and wash it with my towels, cloths, clothes and anything else I've touched in the past week. By some sort of antibacterial wipes and wipe down all light switches, phones, remotes, doorknobs, cupboard handles, etc.

I do that daily while I'm sick, to make sure I don't leave any germs anywhere for anyone else — myself included.

Juice, juice, juice. Both apple and orange. As much as I can stomach.

I take the maximum allowable dosage of vitamin C, too.

My entire daily intake of food is apples, oranges, bananas, carrots and chicken soup.

Call in sick. Stay in bed. Hot, hot shower before bed.

It may not all work, but it fools me into thinking it does. It sure makes the flu seem to pass faster.

7. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Me likey flu shot. Maybe it's just coincidence (and it most assuredly is) but ever since I started getting them a few years ago, I barely catch a cold.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Along those lines, get some of the Emergen-C packets and throw one into a bottle of water. I know many people who swear by it, including myself.

I'm convinced these "psychological placebos," so to speak, are just as important as actual medicine when it comes to fighting off sickness.

Crash Davis: If you believe you're playing well because you're getting laid, or because you're not getting laid, or because you wear women's underwear, then you ARE! And you should know that!

9. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

My remedy for everything is sleep.

10. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

What about narcolepsy?

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I woke the dog laughing at that....

But lots of sleep, bundle up and sweat it out...

12. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Go to your doctor. If you don't have one, go to a clinic.

I had the flu a few weeks ago and it knocked my ass out for most of a week. Tried to tough it out, but I ended up deciding to see my doctor. Got Tamiflu, a steroid and something else (antibiotic, maybe, don't remember) and was feeling much better within a couple days.

Draft saved Draft deleted