1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The first tie

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

This thread was gonig to be about the first time you did something, but then I misspelled "time."

So instead we're going to talk about your first tie.

Mine was a clip-on. It had squares. I wore it everywhere that a tie would be required.

My second tie was real. I did the four-in-hand knot. Still do. That's the easiest.

Then my third came with like 4,000 other ones because I was wearing real-person ties and my dad had so many and I once got pudding on one and he freaked out because it was one of his favorites.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Not sure I can recall anything about ties I had when I was a kid, although the first one was surely a clip-on.

I still have the first tie I bought for myself, a dark blue number with a few subtle pastel dots. Hell, I still wear it from time to time.

And I still have one of those skinny black knit ties. They'll come back, I'm sure.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

A skinny black clip-on that I had to wear for my job selling concessions at my hometown theater, circa 1971-73.

Haven't had many others. Never had to wear a tie for work since then, and except for yearbook pictures or an occasional wedding or funeral I never, ever wear them.

In fact I've worked for nearly 40 years and never had to wear anything more formal than khakis and a polo; wore jeans to work for my final 20 years in newspapers and I can wear shorts at my current job. Praise the lord for the casual lifestyle in Microville!

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I went to a wedding this summer in Alabama and wore my searsucker suit. I bought my first real bow-tie and tied it myself, with the help of a youtube video teaching me how to tie it.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I hope to never wear searsucker or bowties.

I'm not that into myself.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I used to have a thing for bolo ties. Then again, I was 12.

7. You're not fooling anyone, hipster.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I feel like I can't wear either until I own a plantation.

9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Never wear a bowtie, unless you're selling popcorn or fried chicken.

10. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

My mom has a picture of me from Easter when I was about a year and a half old. I'm wearing a red bow time. I'm sure it's a clip-on, and I'm sure that was my first tie.
    I wore various clip-ons to church growing up. My first real "tie" I got when I was 16 and started working at the grocery story. (Anyone else remember when the bag boys wore ties and vests?) Anyway, I just had kind of a wrap around knot of my own design going. One of the managers said, "Your tie looks like shit. Come here." He took me to a mirror, taught me how to tie a Full Windsor, and I have never tied a tie any way but that since. In fact, I never will. Anything but a Full Windsor looks like a job half complete. Actually, when I went to boot camp, I was kind of a rock star because I could tie the required military Full Windsor knot and taught others how to do it.

11. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

That's funny because about a year ago I was drunk one night, was doing a Youtube surf and came across some bow tie videos. I got enthralled, learned how to tie it and ordered one off ebay. I've worn in a few times. Mainly, I wear it as a FU you anyone who has something to say about it. I far prefer a normal tie, but I'll wear my bow just because that's my personality. I have a friend who wears nothing but bow ties.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Ridgeway's first tie was the one he came out of the womb wearing.

Draft saved Draft deleted