1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The first rule of South Oak Cliff High School ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dignan, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

What's really amazing is how the principal got his job in the first place and then managed to keep it as long as he did:

Reports that former South Oak Cliff High School principal Donald Moten sent troubled students into a steel utility cage to fight aren't the first blemishes on his résumé.

The DISD hired Moten despite his checkered history at the Dallas Police Department – one that included staging his own kidnapping and the fatal shooting of an elderly crime-watch volunteer.

South Oak Cliff High School was stripped of its 2006 state basketball championship after investigators determined Moten had coerced teachers into changing athletes' grades.

Real piece o' work, this guy is.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

There are a lot of bad school systems in this country but the level of sheer stupidity that runs rampant throughout the Dallas school district is breathtaking in its scope.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Beats anything in Detroit and that's the most fucked up district I've ever seen/

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

You're assuming that parents in South Oak Cliff give a shit about their kids to this extent.

The level of corruption at South Oak Cliff is mind-blowing. I think it can make a strong case for being the absolute worst high school on planet Earth.

5. Armchair_QB

It's not just SOC. The institutional graft and corruption in DISD rivals the city governments of places like Chicago, Philly and Boston.

This is a school district that discovered it had an $83 million budget shortfall for the school year in OCTOBER and laid off hundreds of teachers and low-level staff during the school year as a result.

Yet somehow not one person in their finance department was arrested, let alone fired.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

The worst we ever had it was our middle-school gym teacher peering through the locker-room window while we changed for class.

It wouldn't have been so bad except for all those horse noises.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Did Emile Janza square off with Jerry Renault in any of those fights?

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

In a less politically correct (and some might say better) time it was fairly common for principals to have two kids who were caught fighting to put on boxing gloves and go at it, or so I'm told.
    I guess it's better than having kids shoot each other.

9. Armchair_QB

Back in the 60s and early 70s at when my high school was an all-boys school it was common for boys who got in trouble for fighting to be sentenced to going three rounds in the school boxing ring with a teacher who was Golden Gloves boxer.

Fighting on campus wasn't much of a problem for some reason.

Of course this was a private school so not only did the parents know about it, they signed off on it as a possible punishment when they enrolled their sons.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

She's being caged for her own safety.

11. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Because of Title IX, she'll be facing off with Big Tommy, who started it all by calling her a poopyhead.

12. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Obviously the principal is just a big fan of the Bing Crosby/Ingrid Bergman epic Bells of St. Mary's.

[​IMG]

Something went screwy with the Dallas school district -- back when I was in town, in the early 1980s, it was fairly well-run.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted