1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The first female NFL assistant

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jr/shotglass, Jan 20, 2016.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

That is a position so far down the food chain of an NFL organization. An internship, essentially, is what it is. I imagine she is probably overqualified for it.

If nothing else, when Rex gets fired in 11 months, this is another talking point for Rex Ryan to get hired as the first network analyst who is a former coach to not lead his team to a Super Bowl.

Well, the second analyst.

After Buddy Ryan.

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

That's true. That's like being Paul McCartney's butcher. The team that pays the fewest attention to detail makes the most noted QC hire.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

This is gonna drive the War on Football crowd nuts. It's bad enough that some people want to make the game safer. Now they're gonna let a girl on the sidelines? America's going to hell, I tell ya.

Vombatus likes this.
  4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Then why is this being called the 'first female fulltime assistant coach" in NFL history ?

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Because it is a full-time position. What Jen Welter did during training camp was an internship.

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Again, a "quality control coach" on either side of the ball is someone who is being given a "foot in the door" and most of them make between $20K and $24K and that's about it. They are generally younger guys who are trying to get into the profession or trying to make the jump from college to NFL coaching.

I don't know that I have ever heard of a special teams quality control coach, but I'm sure this isn't the first one.

At the end of the day - this is a nothing story because this woman, God bless her and I hope she goes onto great things, was given a nothing position.

When a woman is given a real position - a position coach - then it will be a story.

This smells and feels like a publicity stunt by Rex, who also hired his idiot brother this offseason if I am not mistaken.

7. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Guys--

If this is a 'nothing' story, why has it never happened before ?

Somebody has to be the first. Better that she's overqualified than under.

And if it's truly beneath her, why did she take the job ?

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

The same reason young dudes take that job - they hope that it leads to a full-time position.

And to answer your first question - it probably hasn't happened before because women are too smart to take a job making $20 K a year that involves 100-hour work weeks.

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Getting her feet in the door might be exactly what Rex wanted.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It isn't a nothing story. Not that angry boy is completely wrong. I also think it is a publicity stunt by Rex Ryan, but that doesn't mean it isn't also a legitimate hire.

Draft saved Draft deleted