1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The first 2008 Election Poll

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, May 9, 2008.

?

Who gets your vote at this point and why?

1. McCain-TBA

16 vote(s)
    17.8%
  2. Obama-TBA

74 vote(s)
    82.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Obama. He'll be a better president than McCain and the Republicans have messed up the country enough.

Comment 1-- Ralph Nader is a declared third-party/independent candidate so he should be a choice in the poll, although I wouldn't vote for him.
    Comment 2 -- Should Hillary be a choice in this poll? Will she pull a Lieberman and run as an independent after she loses the nomination?

2. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

Obama. Like a few others have said, I've been on the bandwagon for a while, and I honestly believe he's the best option for the country.
    The Veep choices won't have any sway in my vote at this point.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Obama. He shares my beliefs more than McCain does. And I'm not about to reward the Republican Party with another president since the current one lied to us in order to fight a war.

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Not a major fan of either person, but I'm picking Obama in this poll. I think the VP does mean something here -- it needs to be an experienced person because Obama needs a credible sidekick to accompany him and to keep the young people energized by him happy; McCain needs someone who will make people comfortable that if his age becomes an issue that they have someone who can keep things status quo.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Not for nothing, but Barr has evolved into a classic Libertarian with a major hard-on for junking the Patriot Act. Strange days, indeed.

6. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Obama, and it doesn't matter who the VP is.

In addition to reasons mentioned by others on this thread -- SCOTUS is a big one, as is warmongering and health care --- I have grave concerns about McCain's positions when it comes to women's issues. Not only is he <a href="http://wonkette.com/376849/mccain-called-his-wife-c+word">disrespectful to his wife</a>, he is <a href="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/cristina-page/the-mcmoderate_b_88275.html">against reproductive rights</a>, he <a href="http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5iNxTApa2sQRu0Xx99P3jt2bEXw7gD907TGGG2">opposes legislation to stop wage discrimination,</a> and he would most certainly appoint SCOTUS justices who would overturn <a href="http://www.sptimes.com/2008/03/09/Opinion/Why_McCain_should_wor.shtml">Roe v. Wade</a> and other legal precedents and legislation that <a href="http://www.sptimes.com/2008/03/09/Opinion/Why_McCain_should_wor.shtml">keep women from being second-class citizens</a> in this country.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Obama, because I'm a Democrat.

8. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

"emancipation from the slavery of the womb"

Thank God none of your sources overstated anything.

9. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

I know this isn't supposed to be a place for comments, but I have to say that I'm impressed that TBF is voting for Obama. To be honest, it made me a little teary-eyed. I won't go into it.

I'm voting for Obama, too. Admittedly, I have lots of Utopian ideals that usually come crashing down. I can't help but think my faith in Obama could be one of them. An analogy, and I'll move on. I think of Obama as the star QB/RB/WR everything thinks should be a first-round pick. I think of Hillary as that offensive lineman who everyone knows will be a solid addition. There's som risk involved. Frankly, though, I think the risk is far less than it would be with McCain.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

McCain. To prove the media is not Liberal.

11. Gold

Gold Active Member

Obama. I'm a pretty hard-core Democrat although I voted for Hillary in the primary. I made my decision based on their respective speeches after the New Hampshire primary. Obama's campaign has been phenominal. He has raised an amazing amount of money in small donations.

I think McCain is a better person and would be a better president than George Bush. I respect the fact that when offered a release by the North Vietnamese, he refused because he wouldn't take a special favor as the son of an admiral. However, McCain is a basic anti-abortion, anti-labor Republican in most of his votes as a Senator.

I think Obama and McCain will run cleaner campaigns than we have seen in past presidential elections.

A vice-presidential choice would make no difference to me.

12. While less in favor of an armed coup than you are, I tend to agree.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.