1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The financial apocalpyse is upon us

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Feb 8, 2010.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/business/secret-summit-of-top-bankers/story-e6frez7r-1225827289543

Or so the story above makes it sound.

There will be a government that needs to be bailed out by the IMF to avoid defaulting on its debt sometime this year. Greece, Portugal, Spain; who will it be? Things feel kind of spooky right now because this is where the double dip begins.

Things are that much scarier when a bunch of centralized-planning bankers from around the world get together in secret. They hatch their plots and do their secret handshakes; things turn out worse than they would have.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Bilderburgers! Secret plots! Boogity boogity!

3. The Big Ragu

Somethin' like that.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

*makes note of 173rd financial apocalypse he's been warned about since he began accessing the internet*

5. The Big Ragu

176 and counting, actually. Wait till the British tabloids get their hands on the photos of Ben Bernanke, Tiger Woods, a kangaroo and two models from the undisclosed location in Sydney. The FTSE 100 is gonna plummet.

6. The Big Ragu

FYI, if you don't think guys who spend their days surrounded by interest rates know how to party. ... check out the computer screen of the broker behind the right shoulder of the guy talking.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Everytime I see my wacky next-door neighbor (not the druggies from across the street), she tells me to listen to some tinfoil guy on the radio about how there's this huge conspiracy with the Rockerfellers and the Rothchilds to bankrupt the U.S.

I usually just smile and nod my head.

8. The Big Ragu

We mock what we don't understand.

Hey, everyone decided today that Portugal will be the one to default. Greece and Spain looking safe, till tomorrow at least.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Mexico's GDP is bigger than Spain's, which in turn is much larger than Greece's or Portugal's. If one of these countries defaults, highly embarrassing yes, nuclear winter no.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Sometimes. But sometimes we mock stuff that's just funny.

11. The Big Ragu

The last time I heard the words "Spain" and "nuclear winter" used in the same sentence, I believe Vladimir Alexandrov was still listed in the white pages.

12. The Big Ragu

By the way, if any of those countries default, nope, it's not a nuclear winter, but it's a disaster. There is no telling how many hundreds of billions of dollars of exposure various banks around Europe have to the debt of those countries. German banks alone, for example, have $240 billion worth of exposure to Spain. A sovereign default--and it doesn't matter if it is Dubai, Spain, Portugal, Greece, Ireland, etc.--will make what the U.S. meltdown two years did to the world's banks look like the good old days.

It won't get to that, though. Assuming we don't have a giant meltdown at once with several countries defaulting, the IMF will step in and do bail outs. The ones I feel bad for are France and Germany. If there is a default anywhere, they are the ones everyone is going to look for for the money because their economies are the largest. That Eurozone idea ain't looking as grand as it was. You can link your financial fortunes, but as long as politically the agendas of those countries are all over the map, it turns out you might be making for some horrible bed partners.

Draft saved Draft deleted