1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The fade of the Brewers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Yawn, Aug 18, 2007.

1. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

I wish that one had belonged to the Reds ... :(

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Damn this thread. I'm a delusional Reds fan who hasn't given up on the season yet, being that it is the NL Central.

3. markvid

markvid Guest

You do know that the Selig family is no longer involved in the team's ownership or operations, right?

4. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Heck, playthrough, even the Reds were only 9 back entering tonight (their loss + the Cubs' win = 10 back, but ...). Is that the closest they've been in August in some time?

Milwaukee's offense is very good. Their pitching seems just ... well, tired -- especially in the pen, which I believed to be the Brewers' biggest strength (and the loss of Sheets has been big. When you're slumping, you need a stopper that's going to go out and get a "W" for you on most days. The Cubs have had that with Zambrano and Lilly in the last two months, which has allowed them to survive a shaky bullpen).

Milwaukee has another flaw that has been gnawing at them all year -- their inability to win on the road. If they hit a home slump (and they have in the last couple of homestands), a free-fall was possible, and that has happened. The Brewers' home record is still third-best in the bigs (40-24), but their road record is third-worst (23-36, only better than Texas and Houston).

I do think the Brewers have one good run left in them -- they have too good of an offense not to. I just hope it begins after (or ends before) their visit to Wrigley Field next week. However, if they just tread water, the Cubs have a schedule full of sub-.500 teams in the last three weeks of the season (in fact, all but 10 of the Cubs' remaining 38 games are against sub-.500 teams, and six of them are in the next week and a half). However, if the Brewers are going to get to the postseason, they'll have to figure out how to do it in the grey uniforms.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Agreed on the road woes, hell, the Brewers have had woes no matter the locale, but the Brewers play more games at home in September than the Cubs do if I'm not mistaken.

Milwaukee's offense is good ... in a way. They're gifted, but the offense has one fatal flaw that finally caught up to it during the recent slide — they can't move runners in scoring position. It's an all-or-nothing lineup and there's no one on that team that's going to consistently hit the other way or simply get a single to move runners up game-to-game. It's that reason I've been pissed that Tony Gwynn Jr. keeps bopping up and down. I think he could help in that regard.

No question the Sheets loss has been massive. In a way, the Brewers are lucky they're still in striking position for his return. I just hope he doesn't pull a Capuano and struggle post-injury.

And the sub-.500 teams for the Cubs? That's what I was telling myself in early July when I saw tons of post-All-Star Game Brewers games against the Reds, Astros and Cardinals.

Didn't really pan out to put it mildly. :-\

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

HA!!! You know, I read that the first time, and it must have been the shock of Yawn posting something that's not stupidly neo-con and xenophobic, but I just figured he meant the Seligs were probably laughing that the Brewers were still torturing the populace.

But on second read, you're right. Yawn still thinks the Brewers are owned by the Selig family.

Oh Yawn. Best to return to your usual programming.

7. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

The Brewers will never win until they cure their Yost infection. He is a pathetically inept manager, as well as a moron. Here's what he had to say before tonight's game (their sixth win in the last twenty): "This should be the funnest time of their professional lives. You have to learn to go out and enjoy it."

8. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Indirectly. You never know what goes on under the table. If anyone thinks Selig's interest in this operation is just a passing one, they really do have a naive view of the business world.

Hell, if one of my good buddies (tongue in cheek of course) like Markvid can figure that much out from my post, maybe we need to give the dipshits some aspirin and send their asses back to school.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Can't you say the same thing about the other 29 teams too?

See: "Advising" teams on how much to pay their draft picks via the slot system.

10. markvid

markvid Guest

Can you post any responses to anything on here without an insult?
    You got caught, you had no clue that the Seligs aren't in control.
    Apologize.

11. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Bullshit.

12. markvid

markvid Guest

I rest my case.

Draft saved Draft deleted