1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The everything karaoke thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by forever_town, Feb 28, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Anyone go out to karaoke and come back with stories?

- The tone deaf guy who singlehandedly ruined a great song?

- The singer whose impassioned rendition of a song you hadn't heard made you write down the title?

- A song you sing that got you an unexpected reaction?

- A singer who does so well on a song that you like hers better than the original?

Here's the place for them ... that is, if this thread isn't a d_b!

2. This is a thread made specifically for me.

Once heard a guy do a rendition of personal jesus that had everyone at my table thinking he was going to end the song by pulling out a 9mm and shooting up the place. Then my co-worker gets on stage right after us and says "OK, let's thank that guy for scraing the crap out of all of us."

Once had a co-worker who did a great rendition of Clarence Carter's "Strokin," always brought the house down.

When I was drunk on my birthday two years ago, I'm told I did a hilarious rendition of Beat It, dancing and all. Apparently, you haven't seen a good rendition of Beat It until you've seen a 300-pound white man get up there and embarass himself.

3. forever_town

One of my favorite stories of all time comes as I get up on stage to sing the Stevie Nicks song "Fall From Grace." Bear in mind that it's not very well known since it's off her most recent studio record (Trouble in Shangri-la) and it wasn't a single.

I must have impressed this college crowd at the big university that had karaoke that night because the crowd was really into it when I was doing all the gestures and Stevie Nicks spins and a high kick. When I got done, I got a standing ovation. People were chanting my stage name. Someone even asked for my autograph.

It was wild.

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I can't sing. I have the melodic tunings of a hoarse hippo gargling.

5. forever_town

That never stops me. ;)

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

It's so bad, my oldest daughter asks if I "could just hum."
    I don't have the heart to the the booger she can't sing a lick, either.

7. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Have several, seeing is this is probably my favorite pasttime:

----
    Watched a group of big mofos get up on stage and do (verbatim) Da Butt while breaking into a perfectly synchronized dance. Kept the video on my phone until recently.
    ----
    Damn near had my wife (then-fiancee) pissing her pants when I changed the lyrics to Strokin' to be all about her.
    By the time I got done, the place was rolling and her face was red as hell. She did not Stroke it that night.
    ----
    Have a friend who does (also verbatim) Young MC's Bust-a-Move while walking around whatever room he's in. Word for word, probably still the consistently best Karaoke job I've seen.
    ----
    The bar where I used to routinely go holds several hundred people, and the stage is elevated about 3.5 feet. The place is always smokey as hell and chances are someone's throwing up at any given time. However, one time, the DJ let this couple bring in their 9-year-old daughter. Gabby, even though she was dressed in pretty much a Canadian tuxedo, absolutely owned every song she did (at one point, she yelled at her dad because his back-up vocals weren't good enough). I'm sure we'll see her on Idol in a couple years.
    ----
    Have seen countless people throw/drop mics, puke on stage, take a poke at a DJ, get dragged off stage by bouncers, etc.
    All in a good time.

Sure Cosmo, (fmr)fmrsped and others here can share a funny story or two, as well.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Watched a guy from the TV side - both the paper and TV station in town were owned by the same company - do a dead-on version of Cartman's "Come Sail Away."

Outstanding. Poor guy did have to guzzle some water afterward to make sure his throat wasn't too screwed up. :)

9. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

I sing like an amputee ... (come on, you know the rest).

10. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

My best friend Diana and I brought the f**kin house down with Don't Leave Me Girl by Blackstreet, then really killed them with I can Love You Like That by All 4 One. That was one hell of a night...

11. Flash

Flash Guest

Had the place on its feet with a rendition of Ice Ice Baby. Guys were randomly walking up to be my backup dancers.

Good times.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

HC & I do a great duet of "I Got You Babe" (that's an old Sonny & Cher for the young 'uns here) ..she does all the heavy lifting of course. I'm just along for the ride.

Draft saved Draft deleted